What is your pet peeve about swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
No matter how hard you scrub or how often you shower....you always smell of chlorine! :rolleyes:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    Originally posted by swimshark Sonic reminded me of one. How about the swimmers who put their cap on with the seam (fold) going from ear to ear rather than down the middle from forehead to neck?! Cracks me up every time :D How about people who call it a swimming "hat"? (generally the same ones that wear it like a goofball as well)
  • Former Member
    Oh, oh, here's a good one! What about Scuba Divers?? Anyone know what I'm talking about? They come in, in their neoprene wetsuits, HUGE masks, ...that's right, MASKS, (I hardly call 'em goggles if they're HUGE) and snorkels... "...Ooh, we're snorkeling... IN A POOL!" Who does that?! I'd understand if it were at a reef where colorful fish dwell... But a Pool?!! *Speaks in Jacques Gusteau Accent* "Ah yes, wee see ze raire femaile swimmaire in hair beautiful black, red and orange Speedo, swimming ze majestic breaststroke.... Du not get too close, or she'll see you and zen slap you." GIMMIE A BREAK!!! Snorkeling is for tourists who want to see fish in reefs, not female swimmers in skin tight Speedo's! Oy!
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by Guvnah No, Sonic, please do not fear sharing with me. I will not kick you out, and you can decide if you want to share with me. Even if you AND Scansy are in there, I will not kick anyone out since etiquette dictates that I share another lane in that case. (If I'm the 13th person, they you and Scansy will be circling with me though, and you will have to decide if that's OK with you.) HA! There was a previous discussion about butterfly (probably almost a year ago) in which it was revealed that my fly looks like those really fast race boats when they wreck - flipping, turning, rotating, splashing, generally making a big mess! Maybe if we shared, you would only be the second biggest wake in the lane!:D
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by dorothyrde My Y divides the 6 lane pool into 3 large lanes. ... Then if you have to circle swim, you have to circle the whole thing which adds bunches to you swim. Most of our workouts we only have three "double" lanes, we swim out along the lane lines and back in the middle, and that works well. In fact, even when we have all the lane lines set up we swim with alternating lanes rotating in opposite directions so that you are always swimming in the same direction as the person swimming in the adjacent lane. I find this works a lot better than all lanes rotating in the same direction where people on both sides are always going in the opposite direction. As for pet peeves, the "you go first (so I can draft off you)" is my favorite.
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by LindsayNB Most of our workouts we only have three "double" lanes, we swim out along the lane lines and back in the middle, and that works well. If a pool is going to set up circle swimming, this is actually a better way to do it, in my opinion. There is room down the middle for two or even three (tight) abreast, and that makes for easy passing if necessary, at least for that half of the lap.
  • Prior post from SS78: I think I was referring to one of Guvnah's posts... "Manatee" = Over-Weight (Female) Aqua Aerobe. I figured as much, just didn't have much else to do at the time so thought I'd give you a hard time. You should meet some of our female Manatees sometime. They certainly don't qualify for the "discription" above. Jim
  • Former Member
    At the old pool that I used to manage, the water aerobics ladies would complain that they were getting splashed by lap swimmers... they would get mad because their hair would get wet! UM... YOU ARE IN A POOL, it's WATER, you will get WET! Oh, that stresses me out just thinking about that.
  • Former Member
    Aqua Aerobes are snobs of the pool... I can't sand them altogether. Another pet peeve: Swimming in City Pools or the at the Y! Its an absolutely dreadful experience for the Swimmer. "...but I'm a swimmer too!" "No, I'M a Swimmer, you're just a petty Pool-Goer IN MY WAY!!!" Here's another good one: Whiney (Mainly Female, sorry ladies) Swimmers. *Whine* "...I Don' Wanna geddin! It's Too Coooolllllldddd!"
  • Former Member
    Let's hope not for all our sakes... Seriously though, if it's one thing that REALLY annoys the hell out of me is a Faux pas, Phoney, Overweight Aqua Aerobe who thinks she's "Working out and burning carbs or calories" "...I'm trying to tone up and lose weight" *strolls down the full length of the shallow lane with buoyant and not so heavy aqua weights* "...DO YOU THINK I SWIM LAPS FOR FUN?!" ...okay, that was dumb, but I burn twice, if not THRICE as much calories and carbs as you! If you're gonna workout, SWIM SOME FRIGGIN LAPS LADY!!! ...The shower cap instead of a swim cap thing was over the top! Much better than the little old ladies doing water aerobics (after their hair salon appointment) who insist upon wearing shower caps in the pool instead of swim caps! - msgrupp I agree with Jean Sterling (Quoted from the "You Know You're a Swimmer..." thread). I'd rather shave myself bald then nervously worry about my hair getting wet or harmed by pool chemicals. One of the aerobic ladies told me that she had to "go straight to the beauty parlor" if her hair got wet. I would shave my head and get a wig before I would be such a slave to my hair. Admittedly their hair does look better than my overly chlorinated tresses, but what a price to pay. - Jean Sterling
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by USMSarah At the old pool that I used to manage, the water aerobics ladies would complain that they were getting splashed by lap swimmers... they would get mad because their hair would get wet! UM... YOU ARE IN A POOL, it's WATER, you will get WET! This is especially annoying when the aerobes lean on the lane line so that they are taking up half the swimming lane. Try circle swimming in half a lane - and then have an aerobe ask you to move over.