Pilates

I've heard so much lately about the benefits of pilates. Does anyone out there do this workout? If so, has it helped your swimming? Where can I find a book with a "basic" program in it?
  • Pilates is a great workout if done correctly. I really suggest that you take a couple group classes or private lessons from a certified instructor before using a video tape. There is a great deal involved with the correct technique for the moves in pilates, that I really found it helpful to have an instructor who can help you achieve the positions and movements. It is difficult to get that from a video tape. I have found that training in pilates has really improved my strength in all four strokes. Many swimmers swim with loose stomachs (cores). Pilates will help you become aware of the many different muscles you have in your core. Good luck Dennis
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    I replied to a different post with similar questions. I have just started doing Pilates, mostly because I haven't been motivated to get to the pool. There is a strong emphasis on strengthening the "power house", those muscles in the torso, lower abs, butt and upper thighs. I bought a program from Guthy Renker, a DVD hosted by Mari Winsor which is very easy to follow, and there are a couple of options, like a 20 minute and 60 minute workout. One of the things about this program, is that it is based on performing slow, controlled movements, instead of a gabillion repetitions..and I do feel it the next day. In the past, I tried Denise Austin's Pilates video, and you've got to be in really good shape to start with to get through that...it was rediculous. Hope to hear from other posters how Pilates affected their speed, endurance and/or technique in the pool. Cheers!
  • Former Member
    I too, have used the Winsor pilates DVDs. I was away from swimming for a while, and really noticed a difference in my 1) concentration ! 2) balance and 3) control while swimming when I came back. That, and better balance when I'm trying to take off my suit one leg at a time while bending over in the shower while still wearing flip-flops... I would also recommend taking a class or getting some 1:1 instruction first. There are so many important details with pilates that make it work that you don't really get from tapes. My physical therapist got me started, and I still hear her feedback in my head when I do it. I also have used the following two books that I like, both by Alycea Ungaro: Portable Pilates (book and CD) and Pilates: body in motion. The last one is more comprehensive with instructions and the "portable" is a good start.
  • Former Member
    I tried pilates and I found that the tapes were very simple for anyone who is in any degree of shape. I was very hopeful; but very disappointed.
  • I have done Pilates on and off for about 3 years and I love it. I own most of the Gaiam series and also the ones which use the balancing ball, tri cords and body ring. All are good workouts with different emphasis. If you belong to a warehouse club, they usually sell the dvd's and tapes for good prices. The dvd's are good because they have extra instruction as to the correct movements and positioning. Since Pilates works on the "core" of the abs, chest and shoulders, I would think this would really help your fly and free. Good luck!
  • Former Member
    I have been doing pilates since about September and I think it has helped me too. I strongly suggest also that you take a small class or one-on-one instruction the first bunch of times you do it. Just going through the motions is very easy, but if you are doing them correctly, they can be very productive (i.e., hard)! We do them one day a week before practice and one day a week after practice. What a difference. It is so much harder on the day a week we do it after practice, I know I am working muscles that I use a lot! I also feel it the next day when I skip a session or two.
  • Former Member
    I include pilates and stretch into my dryland routine. I think they have really helped my swimming a lot. I began them a couple of years ago when I wanted to do a marathon swim. I definitely had better balance in the rough wavy water. I would recommend going to a class with a qualified teacher to make sure you are performing each exercise correctly. A skilled eye will ensure you are doing this and not harming yourself. Pilates make the dryland part more varied to add to all the other exercises, circuits, etc that we do. Don't forget to stretch each day as well. "To motivate, add water"
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Pilates is a great workout if done correctly. I really suggest that you take a couple group classes or private lessons from a certified instructor before using a video tape. There is a great deal involved with the correct technique for the moves in pilates, that I really found it helpful to have an instructor who can help you achieve the positions and movements. It is difficult to get that from a video tape. apkjunky
  • I take a class at my Y. The core and leg work are very promising, especially when the instructor has us do flutter kick.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I haven't taken pilates, but I found yoga helpful for core strength as well as just getting a better awareness of what my body felt like at rest/extension/flexion. If you don't want to join a gym, many community/adult education/rec departments run pilates courses (usually 8-10 week sessions) for a reasonable fee.