Pilates

I've heard so much lately about the benefits of pilates. Does anyone out there do this workout? If so, has it helped your swimming? Where can I find a book with a "basic" program in it?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    I replied to a different post with similar questions. I have just started doing Pilates, mostly because I haven't been motivated to get to the pool. There is a strong emphasis on strengthening the "power house", those muscles in the torso, lower abs, butt and upper thighs. I bought a program from Guthy Renker, a DVD hosted by Mari Winsor which is very easy to follow, and there are a couple of options, like a 20 minute and 60 minute workout. One of the things about this program, is that it is based on performing slow, controlled movements, instead of a gabillion repetitions..and I do feel it the next day. In the past, I tried Denise Austin's Pilates video, and you've got to be in really good shape to start with to get through that...it was rediculous. Hope to hear from other posters how Pilates affected their speed, endurance and/or technique in the pool. Cheers!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    I replied to a different post with similar questions. I have just started doing Pilates, mostly because I haven't been motivated to get to the pool. There is a strong emphasis on strengthening the "power house", those muscles in the torso, lower abs, butt and upper thighs. I bought a program from Guthy Renker, a DVD hosted by Mari Winsor which is very easy to follow, and there are a couple of options, like a 20 minute and 60 minute workout. One of the things about this program, is that it is based on performing slow, controlled movements, instead of a gabillion repetitions..and I do feel it the next day. In the past, I tried Denise Austin's Pilates video, and you've got to be in really good shape to start with to get through that...it was rediculous. Hope to hear from other posters how Pilates affected their speed, endurance and/or technique in the pool. Cheers!
Children
No Data