Pilates

I've heard so much lately about the benefits of pilates. Does anyone out there do this workout? If so, has it helped your swimming? Where can I find a book with a "basic" program in it?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    I too, have used the Winsor pilates DVDs. I was away from swimming for a while, and really noticed a difference in my 1) concentration ! 2) balance and 3) control while swimming when I came back. That, and better balance when I'm trying to take off my suit one leg at a time while bending over in the shower while still wearing flip-flops... I would also recommend taking a class or getting some 1:1 instruction first. There are so many important details with pilates that make it work that you don't really get from tapes. My physical therapist got me started, and I still hear her feedback in my head when I do it. I also have used the following two books that I like, both by Alycea Ungaro: Portable Pilates (book and CD) and Pilates: body in motion. The last one is more comprehensive with instructions and the "portable" is a good start.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    I too, have used the Winsor pilates DVDs. I was away from swimming for a while, and really noticed a difference in my 1) concentration ! 2) balance and 3) control while swimming when I came back. That, and better balance when I'm trying to take off my suit one leg at a time while bending over in the shower while still wearing flip-flops... I would also recommend taking a class or getting some 1:1 instruction first. There are so many important details with pilates that make it work that you don't really get from tapes. My physical therapist got me started, and I still hear her feedback in my head when I do it. I also have used the following two books that I like, both by Alycea Ungaro: Portable Pilates (book and CD) and Pilates: body in motion. The last one is more comprehensive with instructions and the "portable" is a good start.
Children
No Data