What is your pet peeve about swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
No matter how hard you scrub or how often you shower....you always smell of chlorine! :rolleyes:
  • My pet peeve is an aquatic director at a local Y who refuses to put lane ropes in, even during the (few and far between) lap times.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    Originally posted by Brenden_ONeil I haven't finished this thread yet, but how about the misuse of the term "Olympic Sized Pool"! I'm sorry, but your Hotel DOES NOT have an Olympic-sized pool and neither do most athletic clubs. If it ain't 50M long, IT AIN'T OLYMPIC SIZED!! Originally posted by swimshark Oh, I second that, Brenden. That is so annoying. And to hear people say it's olympic and then find out it's kidney shaped?! Grrr. I third that! The same applies at the local Aquatic Center where I live. I'm sorry, but a short-course isn't Olympic Sized, it's a SHORT-COURSE. In fact, the only Olympic Sized Pool I know of is in the Military Base where I do my Saturday Workouts with my team. Olympic Sized Pools are 50 Meters in length and are 25 Meters in width. The whole use of Yards is beyond me, it's just too messy.
  • Former Member
    1. HOT water...either the aqua babes (it tends to be females, not all are large) and/or synchro (who I HIGHLY respect for their craft) get ahold of the maintenance folks and convenince them the water is too cold and when we get in....I turn red. I am told that my body can not breath/sweat...since the water temp and my body temp are the same thing. 2. Coaches who give sets that are TOO complicated ...and need a calculator/planner to organize...lol...ooops... I am the worst one for doing it to my swimmers... 3. Coaches not showing upj (minor peeve), I get used the organized regime and feel obligated to coach from the water (would rathe swim then think of workouts). 4. Traveling a couple of hours to a meet, getting lost and then "stinking" up the 1 event I was looking for a PB (personal best)... Jack Kangas Buckeye Masters
  • Doesn't IM always start with fly?
  • Former Member
    Here's my pet peeve for the night: The current freezing temps here have caused quite a heating ruckus at our Y in Sewickley. Our large pool has a whole wall of sliding glass doors that obviously lead to the out-of-doors area......tonight, the air temp was so cold there wasn't any fog on the sliding doors, because inside and outside were pretty darn near the same temperature (I swear it), and the pool was also cold, but warm enough to create a horrible soupy cloud mix in the water, and steam rising from the surface of the pool. Not one of my finest nights, I'm afraid.....cold air, very cold pool, very bad.....first time I think I've ever complained about a cold pool in my life, but hey.
  • Former Member
    I'm sure this has been noted somewhere on the former eleventy pages of this thread, but mine is people trying to talk w/me when I'm under water! For crying out loud I wish the older aqua aerobics set would learn I'm not there to socialize. I'm there to swim. Fast. Underwater chit chat? Not so much. I'm even beginning to forego eye contact lest I be trapped in a corner after my final set listening to how someone's grandson is now eating strained carrots.
  • Former Member
    I think IM folks rock!! I can hang for about the first 25 or 50 if we start off with fly, but once we get to back and *** everything falls apart, unless it's a kick set....
  • Former Member
    Sometimes we'll do "traditional" IM sets like: 10 x 100 IM or 5 x 200 IM..etc. Other times, the coach will have us do something like: 4 x 75 IM no fly 4 x 75 IM no back 4 x 75 IM no *** 4 x 75 IM no free Or a bunch of 50s like 25 fly/25 back, 25 back/25 ***, and so on
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by swim53 My pet peeve is an aquatic director at a local Y who refuses to put lane ropes in, even during the (few and far between) lap times. I remember the old Y where I used to swim. The people didn't like to share lanes - I think they thought there was an amendment in the constitution that gave everybody the right to a private lane - maybe it came under pursuit of happiness. Anyway, it was a six lane pool, and the Y put in lane ropes (those dinky ones that were ropes with little floats) that made SEVEN lanes, making it impossible to share a lane.
  • I was hoping you took that the right way Guvnah. I see you did. Nice to meet you :)