What is your pet peeve about swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
No matter how hard you scrub or how often you shower....you always smell of chlorine! :rolleyes:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    Originally posted by Brendan_ONeil how about the misuse of the term "Olympic Sized Pool"! I'm sorry, but your Hotel DOES NOT have an Olympic-sized pool and neither do most athletic clubs. If it ain't 50M long, IT AIN'T OLYMPIC SIZED!! Don't forget hotels that claim to have a junior olympic pool, whatever that is.
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by swimshark Oh, I second that, Brenden. That is so annoying. And to hear people say it's olympic and then find out it's kidney shaped?! Grrr. Maybe they don't mean the regular Olympics. Maybe they're talking about the Bean Olympics! (Get it? Kidney? Bean?) What about people who ruin a perfectly good rant with a dumb joke? I hate when that happens! Adam :D
  • Former Member
    and then keep tapping your toes the whole time!! I've mentioned before that I can think of one person in particular who refuses to go ahead of me, then swims right on my toes! Grrrrrrrrrr..... What is it, a control thing?? Other than that I'm pretty happy with any and all lane mates!
  • Former Member
    I have! I'll wait at the end of the lane and let them move past and yes, it's good to try to stay ahead; makes me work harder. However, I'm a really slow IMer, specifically breaststroke, and this person has in the past insisted on going behind, then waits approx. 2 seconds before they leave the wall.... If I happen to swim with this person, I now st they go ahead on IM or sprint sets. It's still annoying though! :--)
  • Former Member
    Just this afternoon, women coming in for their afternoon aquatic dance class complained because the division ropes in the open part of the pool were in their way. they were ten minutes early for their class and the mother/child class still had ten minutes of class. the old women were mad becasue the mothers & their kids were in their way. I thnk this is the first time the old women were not complaining about me.
  • Former Member
    You could always grow out your toenails... some nasty scratches to the hands would probably cure your toe-grabber. Of course, this presupposes that you don't have a spouse that has to share a bed with you....;) Kae
  • Former Member
    I like both suggestions!! Long toenails....water splashing.... It is pretty cool when you swim with the same folks often and everyone gets to know each others' strengths and weaknesses.... So on that note - what kinds of sets do you like/hate to lead? I'm a pretty good kicker, so I get "stuck" leading kick sets with and without fins. I'm a HORRIBLE IM person, so I always try to go last! (I hate IM day....sigh)
  • Originally posted by Brendan_ONeil I haven't finished this thread yet, but how about the misuse of the term "Olympic Sized Pool"! I'm sorry, but your Hotel DOES NOT have an Olympic-sized pool and neither do most athletic clubs. If it ain't 50M long, IT AIN'T OLYMPIC SIZED!! Oh, I second that, Brenden. That is so annoying. And to hear people say it's olympic and then find out it's kidney shaped?! Grrr.
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by Fishgrrl I'm a pretty good kicker, so I get "stuck" leading kick sets with and without fins. I'm a HORRIBLE IM person, so I always try to go last! (I hate IM day....sigh) I lead on the IM sets - most of the people are triathletes and don't really like the other strokes. I swim in the middle on freestyle sets, and I go last on kicking or when we swim with fins - I'm not much of a kicker and I don't do well with fins.
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by Fishgrrl and then keep tapping your toes the whole time!! I've mentioned before that I can think of one person in particular who refuses to go ahead of me, then swims right on my toes! Grrrrrrrrrr..... Discuss it with the person. Let them know that if they keep it up, you'll pee. Seriously, though, there is an interesting phenomenon that occurs when people circle swim. If two people are equally matched in speed, the one who is behind will almost always catch up because of drafting. Swap places, and the one who was previously in front will start touching toes. You just have to be conscious of it and leave enough room that the drafting effect is minimized.