Fins Fins Fins

I know fins are good training tool, take some of the pressure off my sore rotator cuff, and do improve my kick after even a couple laps. But the Speedos I have feel really heavy. I'm small, and am looking for fins that won't weigh me down so any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • I use the Tyr Crossblade fins, although I'm starting to think they might be too heavy for my feet. I don't understand why anyone wears Zoomers. They are IMO "non-fins". They don't do a thing for me. Maybe I don't know how to properly use them? :confused: I got Zoomers after a pair of Speedo fins totally didn't work out -- felt like cement blocks on my feet. Someone in my swim group let me try her Zoomers and the improvement was dramatic. All relative, I suppose!
  • I had Zoomers since they first came out, but I am deciding whether to get fins for breaststroke, my primary stroke. Has anyone tried Speedo breaststroke fins or Finis positive drive fins?
  • @ CraigH - I experimented with the breaststroke fins one practice (I think they were Speedo). As a breaststroker, I found them odd because I felt like I was using different muscles than I usually do to kick. I hear that you have to be very careful with them in regard to possible knee irritation. They are really great for those swimmers who can't turn their feet out for breaststroke kick - I've seen more than one swimmer learn to turn their feet out correctly using breaststroke fins. I'd be interested to hear what Allen Stark has to say about them - I think his ideas about breaststroke kicking in practice (treading-style) might be better for a breaststroker than the breaststroke fins but I only have the one experience with the fins to make that call...
  • I have a couple of pairs that I like. I have a pair of Aquasphere Alphas that I keep in my locker at the Y. They are flexible, soft (no chafing), and fit my narrow foot wel - very comfortable. I also have a pair of DMC short training fins that I keep in my swim bag in the car. As they are silicone fins they don't chafe. They are stiffer than the Alphas and offer more propulsion. They don't fit quite as snuggly either but it makes them easier to change during sets.
  • @ CraigH - I experimented with the breaststroke fins one practice (I think they were Speedo). As a breaststroker, I found them odd because I felt like I was using different muscles than I usually do to kick. I hear that you have to be very careful with them in regard to possible knee irritation. They are really great for those swimmers who can't turn their feet out for breaststroke kick - I've seen more than one swimmer learn to turn their feet out correctly using breaststroke fins. I'd be interested to hear what Allen Stark has to say about them - I think his ideas about breaststroke kicking in practice (treading-style) might be better for a breaststroker than the breaststroke fins but I only have the one experience with the fins to make that call... I tried a pair at a clinic and I only swam a 25 with them as I thought they put undue strain on my knees. That was at a time when my knees were in worse shape than they are now,so YMMV. I have had several people who were not "natural breaststrokers" who felt they really helped them learn the feel of the kick. I have not heard the same from "natural breaststrokers."I think if you have a good BR kick already they are probably not worth it,but if you don't,they may help. This is in keeping with my thoughts about paddles,they can be a real help with stroke mechanics,but if you are primarily using them to increase resistance,you may end up with sore shoulders.
  • I tried a pair at a clinic and I only swam a 25 with them as I thought they put undue strain on my knees. That was at a time when my knees were in worse shape than they are now,so YMMV. I have had several people who were not "natural breaststrokers" who felt they really helped them learn the feel of the kick. I have not heard the same from "natural breaststrokers."I think if you have a good BR kick already they are probably not worth it,but if you don't,they may help. This is in keeping with my thoughts about paddles,they can be a real help with stroke mechanics,but if you are primarily using them to increase resistance,you may end up with sore shoulders. Couldn't agree more, Allen!
  • I tried a pair at a clinic and I only swam a 25 with them as I thought they put undue strain on my knees. That was at a time when my knees were in worse shape than they are now,so YMMV. I have had several people who were not "natural breaststrokers" who felt they really helped them learn the feel of the kick. I have not heard the same from "natural breaststrokers."I think if you have a good BR kick already they are probably not worth it,but if you don't,they may help. This is in keeping with my thoughts about paddles,they can be a real help with stroke mechanics,but if you are primarily using them to increase resistance,you may end up with sore shoulders. Thanks, Allen!
  • Has anyone tried Speedo breaststroke fins or Finis positive drive fins? I've had the Speedo breaststroke fins for several years now (I'm guessing at least 3), and I really like them. There are a few caveats: * you can't just hop in the pool, put them on, and expect to just go. at least I need to swim a good ~600 first, with some easy breaststroke to get my body warmed up * they aren't intended to be used while kicking with a board * you can combine them with the Speedo fingertip paddles I really like doing a set like this: * 4 x 50 *** (no equip) * 4 x 50 ***, w/fingertip paddles * 4 x 50 ***, w/breaststroke fins * 4 x 50 ***, w/fingertip paddles + breaststroke fins wait at least a minute 100 *** for time (no equipment) I use an interval where I'll get ~10 sec rest for the 50s, possibly changing it by round (I'm significantly faster with equipment)
  • Adding to what Allen said, Speedo breaststroke fins also put a lot of strain on the hips and adductors. Since having arthroscopic hip surgery, I don't plan on using my breaststroke fins again. If anybody would like to purchase a pair that is like new, I have a pair available!
  • Just an opinion - doing the correct *** stoke kick with fins equals :cane: