Fins Fins Fins

I know fins are good training tool, take some of the pressure off my sore rotator cuff, and do improve my kick after even a couple laps. But the Speedos I have feel really heavy. I'm small, and am looking for fins that won't weigh me down so any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Diving fins for me. Never used any other type. They really help ankle flexibility. About 400m a week ONLY.
  • Hey, determinedtri, Which model of the DMC fins do you have: DMC Swim Training Short Fins (open-back foot pocket) www.dmcswim.com/swim-training-short-fins or World's Best Training Fins (closed foot pocket) www.dmcswim.com/worlds-best-training-fins How do you like them? Which model do most of your teammates have? Anna Lea You didn't ask me exactly, but I have the open back ones. I love them. They do not chafe my feet and for me they are stiff enough to add resistance but not so stiff, heavy, or long that they hurt my ankles or slow my kick cadence. I got them from SwimOutlet.com about two years ago. I like using fins sort of as resistance training. I do hard kick sets with a lot of rest between reps, usually on my back but sometimes on my front with my snorkel. Sometimes I swim with them too. Because they don't slow my kick cadence they also don't slow my arm turnover, although when I swim backstroke with them I have to be careful because they reduce my stroke count between flags and wall. Like WaterRat, when I swim with my fins it's always on sets where I am trying to swim very fast. I never just swim with them to go faster and keep up. I am not even sure that I could use them that way, because they force me to six-beat kick and six-beat kicking against that extra resistance gets my HR up higher than anything else in practice except maybe a race with a teammate. But I think they can be useful to simulate going as fast as or even faster than I would in a race.
  • I am a big fan of the Aqua Sphere Alphas - light comfortable and close fitting. I have a pair of Arena's version of the DMC. They provide great propulsion but are a little loose on my foot in the correct size.
  • I'm in that video that Swimosaur posted above. I still love the TYR Burner EBP Floating Fins that we tested in the video. I got a pair back then, they finally wore out, and I bought another pair. Here's a link: www.swimoutlet.com/.../ Based on your recommendation, I ordered these fins. I've had them for about 10 days and have worn them for almost that many workouts :) They were a bit of an adjustment (I had been using Speedo Biofuse fins). One thing I thought was strange at first (but now like) is that the foot kind of molds around your foot. They are much much lighter than the Biofuse. The first time I wore them, it almost felt like I wasn't wearing any (and I definitly feel the difference in my bag). They're a bit more flexible than the Biofuse too (a little adjustment, but not too much). Overall, I'm quite happy with them. Swimming with a masters group, I pretty much wear fins when the coach says ;) (I do occasionally deviate) I'd guess on average I'll use fins for 400-500 yards per workout. Some workouts I won't use them at all...and some others it could be close to 1,000.
  • Former Member
    Based on your recommendation, I ordered these fins. I've had them for about 10 days and have worn them for almost that many workouts :) They were a bit of an adjustment (I had been using Speedo Biofuse fins). One thing I thought was strange at first (but now like) is that the foot kind of molds around your foot. They are much much lighter than the Biofuse. The first time I wore them, it almost felt like I wasn't wearing any (and I definitly feel the difference in my bag). They're a bit more flexible than the Biofuse too (a little adjustment, but not too much). Oh, wow, you made me a little nervous there, buying something on my recommendation, but I'm glad they're working for you! I like the same things you mentioned - they are lightweight and the foot pocket is very comfortable. Anna Lea
  • DMC fins came, so I'm taking them to the pool. They feel heavy, though, heavier than my Speedos, so I hope they are all right.
  • Former Member
    DMC fins came, so I'm taking them to the pool. They feel heavy, though, heavier than my Speedos, so I hope they are all right. I can't wait to hear your review! My decision to buy may be partially based on your review.
  • I love my new DMC fins. They feel heavy at first, but the shorter fin gives me good propulsion without making me feel like I'm sinking, and they also seem to help my form. Wearing fins takes some getting used to, but the xs fit me pretty well and didn't hurt my feet at all. Someone said not to use them a lot at first. So I only used them for a few laps. But when I took them off, I noticed my kick was much stronger. Also, I was able to swim yesterday without shoulder pain for the first time in months. I think fins do take pressure off my shoulders.
  • Former Member
    I use the Tyr Crossblade fins, although I'm starting to think they might be too heavy for my feet. I don't understand why anyone wears Zoomers. They are IMO "non-fins". They don't do a thing for me. Maybe I don't know how to properly use them? :confused:
  • Former Member
    Just found out that we will be testing fins for an upcoming issue of SWIMMER. Boxes of fins are arriving daily here at the office. :cheerleader: