Fins Fins Fins

I know fins are good training tool, take some of the pressure off my sore rotator cuff, and do improve my kick after even a couple laps. But the Speedos I have feel really heavy. I'm small, and am looking for fins that won't weigh me down so any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • I've been using the new DMC fins and I'm still not sure I like fins in any form. They feel heavy on my feet, heavier even than my old snorkel fins, and wonder if perhaps I'm using them wrong or expecting something they're not meant to do, which is alleviate stress on my shoulder. My legs are very tired after I use them for only a few laps. Maybe I'm not used to them. Or maybe I'm just not someone who likes fins. ElaineK, I intended to pem you to tell you I was sorry you had to go through arthroscopic hip surgery. I hope you are on your way to mending and getting back into the pool.
  • ElaineK, I intended to pem you to tell you I was sorry you had to go through arthroscopic hip surgery. I hope you are on your way to mending and getting back into the pool. Thanks, Denise! I was only out of the pool for two weeks (while I still had my stitches); but those two weeks were *&#! :waiting: The next 9 weeks were spent swimming exclusively with a pull buoy, because my doctor told me, "No kicking!" At least I was in the pool, and I got a pair of strong shoulders out of it! :weightlifter: Now I am in normal training mode; however, no racing until May, and I can't kick breaststroke until this summer. My training times are still slow, but I'm a happy camper! :bliss:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I've been using the new DMC fins and I'm still not sure I like fins in any form. They feel heavy on my feet, heavier even than my old snorkel fins, and wonder if perhaps I'm using them wrong or expecting something they're not meant to do, which is alleviate stress on my shoulder. My legs are very tired after I use them for only a few laps. Maybe I'm not used to them. Or maybe I'm just not someone who likes fins. ElaineK, I intended to pem you to tell you I was sorry you had to go through arthroscopic hip surgery. I hope you are on your way to mending and getting back into the pool. Hi Denise, I've used fins (almost too much) for at least the last 15 years with no problems. I used to wear Speedo's split training fins and loved them. They were softer, fit great, and not too heavy. The only problem is that they only last 2 months before the foot part split in the toe box. I switched to TYR crossblades, but now I've noticed more calf/foot cramping after 3000 yards (of swimming with and without fins, all strokes). They are heavier, and I'm sure that's the issue. I can't seem to find anything comparable to those Speedo fins, which BTW, are no longer available.:bitching: Hope they bring them back with in a more durable version.
  • I have a fins question! I have weirdly shaped feet (hammer toes primarily) and have never been able to use fins without my feet cramping like crazy in just a few minutes. It is really frustrating as we do sets with fins and I am falling behind without. Anyone with a similar problem find fins (or a trick to fins) that work? Thanks
  • Necro-bumping a relatively old thread here with a question; for those of you that are familiar with both the DMC Elite training fins and the Hydro Tech 2 training fins, is there a difference between the two? They look exactly identical to me, except for color choices (and brand, obviously). If there's a difference, any preference between the two?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    i saw a hole under Tech 2 and no hole up. dmc has a hole on up and no hole under fins
  • I picked up a pair of the DMC Elites a couple months ago and am not sure how I lived without them. I've been using them quite liberally without any hint of a blister, which is a first. I've tried every set under the sun, from the old-school Zoomers during my age group years, which would completely gash up my heels (we would wear thick cotton socks to ward this off with limited success) to my most recent set, the TYR CrossBlade which tear surprisingly easily (but are also one of the few fins that come in larger sizes). One thing that I would add with the DMC fins is that their sizing is quite generous.