Fins Fins Fins

I know fins are good training tool, take some of the pressure off my sore rotator cuff, and do improve my kick after even a couple laps. But the Speedos I have feel really heavy. I'm small, and am looking for fins that won't weigh me down so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Parents
  • @ CraigH - I experimented with the breaststroke fins one practice (I think they were Speedo). As a breaststroker, I found them odd because I felt like I was using different muscles than I usually do to kick. I hear that you have to be very careful with them in regard to possible knee irritation. They are really great for those swimmers who can't turn their feet out for breaststroke kick - I've seen more than one swimmer learn to turn their feet out correctly using breaststroke fins. I'd be interested to hear what Allen Stark has to say about them - I think his ideas about breaststroke kicking in practice (treading-style) might be better for a breaststroker than the breaststroke fins but I only have the one experience with the fins to make that call... I tried a pair at a clinic and I only swam a 25 with them as I thought they put undue strain on my knees. That was at a time when my knees were in worse shape than they are now,so YMMV. I have had several people who were not "natural breaststrokers" who felt they really helped them learn the feel of the kick. I have not heard the same from "natural breaststrokers."I think if you have a good BR kick already they are probably not worth it,but if you don't,they may help. This is in keeping with my thoughts about paddles,they can be a real help with stroke mechanics,but if you are primarily using them to increase resistance,you may end up with sore shoulders.
  • @ CraigH - I experimented with the breaststroke fins one practice (I think they were Speedo). As a breaststroker, I found them odd because I felt like I was using different muscles than I usually do to kick. I hear that you have to be very careful with them in regard to possible knee irritation. They are really great for those swimmers who can't turn their feet out for breaststroke kick - I've seen more than one swimmer learn to turn their feet out correctly using breaststroke fins. I'd be interested to hear what Allen Stark has to say about them - I think his ideas about breaststroke kicking in practice (treading-style) might be better for a breaststroker than the breaststroke fins but I only have the one experience with the fins to make that call... I tried a pair at a clinic and I only swam a 25 with them as I thought they put undue strain on my knees. That was at a time when my knees were in worse shape than they are now,so YMMV. I have had several people who were not "natural breaststrokers" who felt they really helped them learn the feel of the kick. I have not heard the same from "natural breaststrokers."I think if you have a good BR kick already they are probably not worth it,but if you don't,they may help. This is in keeping with my thoughts about paddles,they can be a real help with stroke mechanics,but if you are primarily using them to increase resistance,you may end up with sore shoulders.
Children
No Data