Fins Fins Fins

I know fins are good training tool, take some of the pressure off my sore rotator cuff, and do improve my kick after even a couple laps. But the Speedos I have feel really heavy. I'm small, and am looking for fins that won't weigh me down so any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • What kind do you use, Steve?Arena Tech Pro's, but when I bought them they were called Hydro Tech II's 9425 I use these for near all-out sprints, challenging drills that I couldn't otherwise sustain, or just carrying them on my feet for ez and recovery swimming between efforts. This turns out to be the majority of time in the water. When I do kick sets the fins are off.
  • I use fins quite liberally. They've had a positive impact on my speed and shoulder health. Maybe I'm using the perfect type for me. What kind do you use, Steve?
  • I'm in that video that Swimosaur posted above. I still love the TYR Burner EBP Floating Fins that we tested in the video. I got a pair back then, they finally wore out, and I bought another pair. Here's a link: www.swimoutlet.com/.../ I like mine too the only one that does immediately cramp my legs but they feel like Frankenstein shoes...
  • I can see wearing fins to reduce the strain on your shoulders, but is there any reason to use them otherwise? Other than to go faster, that is. Whenever I've worn fins I definitely go faster, but it doesn't seem to make me work my legs harder and I also wonder if the fins affect kicking technique.Kirk, I use them for simulating race pace or faster speed. I do think it helps in that regard. Whether it makes me go faster without them, I'm not sure BUT I do know after I've worn them, i'm exhausted. In other words, I only use them when I want to go fast (swimming or kicking), not when I just want to make some long kick set interval. They have definitely helped me with my underwaters. no question. I like long firm fins. not the zoomers.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I have had fins for a couple years but only used them sparingly. I just started going to coached Master's practices this year and we almost always use them for the warm-up set. I also have shoulder issues (tendonosis and impingement in my rotator cuff) and fins have helped. I like fins because it lets me warm up my shoulders without putting a lot of pressure on them. I have found that as I get older it takes a lot longer to get fully warmed up for harder sets. I was still struggling with shoulder issues but using fins for warmup has helped. I have 2 sets and rotate based on what I'm feeling that day or stroke. I use TYR flexfins, a traditional long fin. They are super comfortable, flexible and lightweight (in the water.) I also have TYR Burner EBP short fins to keep me honest. :) I like these too but just don't use them as much.
  • Jayhawk, those fins come in my size, yay, and even though they're expensive (yikes) and would probably cost a fortune to ship from Australia, they look like they're pretty comfy. Were they heavy when you tried them on, or comparable to the lighter fins?
  • Former Member
    Jayhawk, those fins come in my size, yay, and even though they're expensive (yikes) and would probably cost a fortune to ship from Australia, they look like they're pretty comfy. Were they heavy when you tried them on, or comparable to the lighter fins? I don't believe they ship from Australia; they have a distributorship in the U.S. (California). So I think they would charge U.S. shipping rates. I'd say they were probably lighter than the Zoomers; maybe more on par with the TYR Burners. The fact that they are silicone means they will probably last a lot longer than most other fins. Anna Lea
  • I have the DMC fins - most popular brand in my (Australian) club by far, and significantly lighter than the Speedo fins I was using previously.
  • Former Member
    I have the DMC fins - most popular brand in my (Australian) club by far, and significantly lighter than the Speedo fins I was using previously. Hey, determinedtri, Which model of the DMC fins do you have: DMC Swim Training Short Fins (open-back foot pocket) www.dmcswim.com/swim-training-short-fins or World's Best Training Fins (closed foot pocket) www.dmcswim.com/worlds-best-training-fins How do you like them? Which model do most of your teammates have? Anna Lea
  • I ordered the dmc fins online in a size xx small, so hopefully they'll fit. They charge $13+ for shipping, so I'm banking on their customer service being good and not charging shipping if I have to return them. No one in the area sells them, or even the Tyr Burner fins, only Speedo, so if the dmc fins are lighter than Speedo and fit, I'll be really happy.