Fins Fins Fins

I know fins are good training tool, take some of the pressure off my sore rotator cuff, and do improve my kick after even a couple laps. But the Speedos I have feel really heavy. I'm small, and am looking for fins that won't weigh me down so any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • I know fins are good training tool, take some of the pressure off my sore rotator cuff, and do improve my kick after even a couple laps. But the Speedos I have feel really heavy. I'm small, and am looking for fins that won't weigh me down so any suggestions would be appreciated. You might have the same Speedo fins I have--and I've abandoned mine for Zoomers, which are much lighter and more comfortable but for one thing: my toes get chafed a lot wearing them. I have found though that Vaseline or Bodyglide seems to help with that, if I remember to put it on before swimming. Even with the chafing issue, the Zoomers definitely get a thumbs-up, much more so than the Speedos which felt so heavy that I couldn't stand them for more than a couple laps.
  • Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have a very small foot (size 3 women's), and I don't see the TYR fins as coming in a small size (3 Men's is as small as they come on the website, and that is much too big for my little feet). I couldn't find the Zoomers in a kid's size that fit, either, as they're either too big or too narrow. Someone somewhere mentioned a pair of TYR fins that were especially light and good for beginners. Does anyone know what they might be?
  • Masters swimmers love using fins, and I do agree that they can provide benefits to your overall swimming development. However, a few words of caution... 1) If you're going to purchase fins, I would recommend the shorter fins, as some of the others have suggested. Fins that adhere more to the shape of your foot will be better for strengthening purposes. All fins can have the potential of giving you ankle problems, but this is particularly noticeable with longer and larger fins. Furthermore, overuse of these type of fins can change the structure of your kick to your detriment. 2) Use fins only sparingly. Many swimmers love the speeds that they can achieve when they have their fins on, and they will start using fins as a crutch instead of as a tool. I would suggest limiting the time you spend with your fins.
  • Thanks, everyone, that is a great video. And thank you to Julia for the wise advice. I only started to use my fins recently, because I was told that it would help reduce somewhat the overuse of my shoulder, which is still in a lot of discomfort from rotator tendinitis. I find them to be rather cumbersome. And much heavier than my old snorkel fins, which would get me across the lane in, like, two seconds LOL. I"m not much of a fins fan because of what Julia said, I think they too easily become a crutch. A friend uses her zoomers every time she swims, and never takes them off. I've been using Speed Short Blade Training Fins, and to me they just feel too heavy and like they're pulling my legs down.
  • One "benefit," I suppose, of the Zoomers' tendency to cause chafing (which can happen if I use them for too long in any given practice, even w / using Vaseline or Body Glide --these products help up to a point) is that I won't get addicted to them. :) I find them helpful for kick sets but they come off for everything else!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I'm in that video that Swimosaur posted above. I still love the TYR Burner EBP Floating Fins that we tested in the video. I got a pair back then, they finally wore out, and I bought another pair. Here's a link: www.swimoutlet.com/.../
  • Former Member
    Bought a pair of zoomers shortly after they came out. Have never used any other brand since. Love them!
  • Former Member
    I have a pair of Zoomers, too. I kind of alternate between them and the TYR Burners. The Zoomers are heavier and stiffer than the TYR Burners. Then why use the Zoomers? The reason I use the Zoomers is because they are heavier and I think they make my legs work a little harder (which is something I need). The TYR fins may be the most comfortable I've ever worn, as far as the way the foot pocket fits. It's a nice, soft material and doesn't rub or chafe like the Zoomers sometimes do. Anna Lea
  • Former Member
    I have a very small foot (size 3 women's), and I don't see the TYR fins as coming in a small size (3 Men's is as small as they come on the website, and that is much too big for my little feet). I couldn't find the Zoomers in a kid's size that fit, either, as they're either too big or too narrow. Denise, I have another pair of fins (also from fin testing!) that I use for open water that are too big for me. So I got a pair of neoprene socks and I wear them under the fins. The neoprene socks are thick (made of wetsuit fabric) and take up a lot of room. I'll bet that if you buy the smallest size of the TYR Burners, and then get a pair of neoprene socks, that they'll work together. Here are examples of the socks (I own the Speedo Neo Socks): www.swimoutlet.com/.../