What are your 2018 events?

Checking in with my fellow OW peeps. What OW events are you looking to do in 2018? Maybe it'll spur on some ideas and motivation for others! For me - SwimTrek vacation for my big 5-0 in the Maldives (okay, not a race, but damn, it's going to be beautiful!) Maybe St Croix 5 miler again or Barbados 10k. Depends on if I can con my cousin into doing it too.
  • 2018 is going to be my first year swimming /competing in open water events. I grew up swimming in normal pool swim meets and now that I'm older and have kids I'm looking to get back into shape but have a different venue of competition. My observation (and take it for what it's worth, I don't have much experience) is that former competitive swimmers are amazing in open water swims. Even after decades, they just seem to excel compared to us 'adult-onset' swimmers. Good luck and have fun, it's a great time to be in love with open water.
  • With the apparent demise of the La Rolla Rough Water Gatorman (historically the same weekend as Big Shoulders and my favorite OW weekend), I am going to try to make the trek to Chicago this year and finally attempt Big Shoulders. Hope you make it to Chicago. Big Shoulders is such a well-run and fun event, and the conditions are ever unpredictable. It is my year-to-year staple.
  • 2018 is going to be my first year swimming /competing in open water events. I grew up swimming in normal pool swim meets and now that I'm older and have kids I'm looking to get back into shape but have a different venue of competition. I grew up swimming in lakes and so I thought why not try open water.  As the year is approaching I am trying to figure out which OW events to go to this year. I want to stay with in a few hours of Dover, De. I am looking at the Jim McDonnell lake swim, escape to Lewes, and possibly one in PA(I forget the name). I was going to only try 1 or 2 milers at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions on good events on the east coast for a first timer or any general tips for OW competitions? Thanks in advance!!! I've always wanted to try the 2 Bridges swim in Poughkeepsie. And I was an age grouper and high school swimmer (a sprinter) who after a long lay off joined the open water ranks. It is a different animal. Swimming straight, pacing, and mental toughness play a larger role. Many who are faster than I in the pool finish behind me in open water. I'd suggest your first swim, if possible, to be in a relatively small field. Large groups of triathletes make for a brutal race start.
  • Starting off with Swim Ft. Lauterdale in January. Don't know after that as I am having a hard time finding a 2018 event calendar for Florida. Seems like most of them have not been updated yet. I may (shudder) be forced to try a swim meet ... like in a pool. Yup, get my fat rear end on a starting block for the first time since college 30 years ago. Then again, don't like the sound of that, nope... I'll wait for calendar.
  • SwimMiami has 3-4 OW events thru the year with the first one being in March. There’s a well-run 2.4 miler in Jacksonville in August.. Hammerhead
  • I've always wanted to try the 2 Bridges swim in Poughkeepsie. And I was an age grouper and high school swimmer (a sprinter) who after a long lay off joined the open water ranks. It is a different animal. Swimming straight, pacing, and mental toughness play a larger role. Many who are faster than I in the pool finish behind me in open water. I'd suggest your first swim, if possible, to be in a relatively small field. Large groups of triathletes make for a brutal race start.I was in 2 Bridges a couple years ago. Great, well-organized event, generous spread of food, nice swag! Tough part was swimming against the current in the Hudson (oblong course, so part of it was with, part against). I had to take a dnf b/c it 2as such tough going against the current that I was over the time limit. Still, I recommend the swim.... you're a strong swimmer, do it'll likely not be an issue for you, as it was for me. And gotta give a shout-out to the "swim angels." Wouldn't have made it to the first bridge stanchion without my angelic companion, who gave me some really helpful tips, like swimming closer to shore (I know, probably obvious stuff for the more experienced, but 2 yrs ago, I was clueless about strong river currents). Short form: go for it! Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • I'm planning on the 24 hour relay in SF Bay, even though I may be crazy swimming there in cold water w an aggressive sea lion in the vicinity. But I haven't been to SF for years, and I loved it, earthquake and all when I last visited. Great South Bay Swim likely on my list b/c they're wonderful people who organize it. Charles Bender Memorial Marathon Swim, as a relay. I've done the 8 mile distance, and was thinking I'd do the relay for a change, plus a friend wants to increase her swim distance. And, crossing fingers I get in, Swim the Suck. I understand it sells out fast. If not that, I want to do some kind of 10 or double digit mile swim. STS looking like a good choice for a 1st double digit mile swim.... granted, maybe more of a 10k in terms of effort, if there's a dam release. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • Thanks! I might. I have done a similar layout in the Ohio River near Louisville a few times. And on the SF Bay. I just had the opportunity to swim there in October. What a fantastic place to swim. Swimming in Berkeley Harbor, every breath to the west produced the SF skyline and the Golden Gate. Magnificent.Last time I was in SF, I wasn't an open water swimmer, just swam laps for exercise, so a chance to see a whole different side of it.... just hope the aquatic wildlife spares me! :) Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • I was in 2 Bridges a couple years ago. Great, well-organized event, generous spread of food, nice swag! Tough part was swimming against the current in the Hudson (oblong course, so part of it was with, part against). I had to take a dnf b/c it 2as such tough going against the current that I was over the time limit. Still, I recommend the swim.... you're a strong swimmer, do it'll likely not be an issue for you, as it was for me. And gotta give a shout-out to the "swim angels." Wouldn't have made it to the first bridge stanchion without my angelic companion, who gave me some really helpful tips, like swimming closer to shore (I know, probably obvious stuff for the more experienced, but 2 yrs ago, I was clueless about strong river currents). Short form: go for it! Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk Thanks! I might. I have done a similar layout in the Ohio River near Louisville a few times. And on the SF Bay. I just had the opportunity to swim there in October. What a fantastic place to swim. Swimming in Berkeley Harbor, every breath to the west produced the SF skyline and the Golden Gate. Magnificent.
  • Glad to see that you are planning to enter the USMS Sprint Distance Open Water National Championship in Makanda (Carbondale, IL).If you haven't entered yet, the deadline for discounted entry fees is April 9th. A 5 K is also offered. You can swim one or both. To Enter go to: www.clubassistant.com/.../meet_information.cfm May 26 – 11:59 pm is the final deadline to enter. No deck entries accepted. USMS Sprint Distance (1 mile) Open Water National Championship in Carbondale, IL. Nothing like St Croix, Maldives, or Barbados, but a fair bit closer to me....and not all that far from Memphis.