What are your 2018 events?

Checking in with my fellow OW peeps. What OW events are you looking to do in 2018? Maybe it'll spur on some ideas and motivation for others! For me - SwimTrek vacation for my big 5-0 in the Maldives (okay, not a race, but damn, it's going to be beautiful!) Maybe St Croix 5 miler again or Barbados 10k. Depends on if I can con my cousin into doing it too.
Parents
  • 2018 is going to be my first year swimming /competing in open water events. I grew up swimming in normal pool swim meets and now that I'm older and have kids I'm looking to get back into shape but have a different venue of competition. I grew up swimming in lakes and so I thought why not try open water.  As the year is approaching I am trying to figure out which OW events to go to this year. I want to stay with in a few hours of Dover, De. I am looking at the Jim McDonnell lake swim, escape to Lewes, and possibly one in PA(I forget the name). I was going to only try 1 or 2 milers at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions on good events on the east coast for a first timer or any general tips for OW competitions? Thanks in advance!!! I've always wanted to try the 2 Bridges swim in Poughkeepsie. And I was an age grouper and high school swimmer (a sprinter) who after a long lay off joined the open water ranks. It is a different animal. Swimming straight, pacing, and mental toughness play a larger role. Many who are faster than I in the pool finish behind me in open water. I'd suggest your first swim, if possible, to be in a relatively small field. Large groups of triathletes make for a brutal race start.
  • 2018 is going to be my first year swimming /competing in open water events. I grew up swimming in normal pool swim meets and now that I'm older and have kids I'm looking to get back into shape but have a different venue of competition. I grew up swimming in lakes and so I thought why not try open water.  As the year is approaching I am trying to figure out which OW events to go to this year. I want to stay with in a few hours of Dover, De. I am looking at the Jim McDonnell lake swim, escape to Lewes, and possibly one in PA(I forget the name). I was going to only try 1 or 2 milers at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions on good events on the east coast for a first timer or any general tips for OW competitions? Thanks in advance!!! I've always wanted to try the 2 Bridges swim in Poughkeepsie. And I was an age grouper and high school swimmer (a sprinter) who after a long lay off joined the open water ranks. It is a different animal. Swimming straight, pacing, and mental toughness play a larger role. Many who are faster than I in the pool finish behind me in open water. I'd suggest your first swim, if possible, to be in a relatively small field. Large groups of triathletes make for a brutal race start.
Children
No Data