What are your 2018 events?

Checking in with my fellow OW peeps. What OW events are you looking to do in 2018? Maybe it'll spur on some ideas and motivation for others! For me - SwimTrek vacation for my big 5-0 in the Maldives (okay, not a race, but damn, it's going to be beautiful!) Maybe St Croix 5 miler again or Barbados 10k. Depends on if I can con my cousin into doing it too.
  • USMS Sprint Distance (1 mile) Open Water National Championship in Carbondale, IL. Nothing like St Croix, Maldives, or Barbados, but a fair bit closer to me....and not all that far from Memphis.
  • I have two in mind for my big 7-0. The Betsy Owens memorial swim in Lake Placid NY, Aug 11, and Lake George OWS in Ticonderoga NY, Aug 18. They're a week apart and only about a one hour drive apart. Choices at the Betsy, 1 and 2 miles. Choices at LG OWS, 2.5, 5, & 10Km.
  • USMS Sprint Distance (1 mile) Open Water National Championship in Carbondale, IL. Nothing like St Croix, Maldives, or Barbados, but a fair bit closer to me....and not all that far from Memphis. Oh, Gary, I'm going to have to look into Carbondale, thanks! I lived in TX for so long, I don't think to look up in the Midwest area for events.
  • I'll be returning to the Henley Classic (2.1K upstream in the Thames following the Royal Regatta rowing course), Big Shoulders (as usual), and I got hooked on the 10K Swim to the Moon so I might go there again. I'll sprinkle in some 5K's in Ohio.
  • I am going to try to arrange to do the Dakar-Goree swim this year, at the end of September. It's about 5K. I'd also like to do the Goleta to Santa Barbara 10K. That El Cruce event looks fantastic. I will have to try it, but not this year.
  • St. Croix is a great swim, highly recommended! For me, this year I have two new swims: El Cruce in May and Stage 7 of 8 Bridges in June. El Cruce is a 10K crossing from Cancun to Isla Mujeres that swims right over an underwater museum. And am very excited to be going with two women I met during the Bermuda 10K and one from my pool who I hooked on the joys of open water. Stage 7 is going to satisfy a dream I've had since starting to swim of swimming past the Statue of Liberty.
  • I HIGHLY recommend The Best Fest Open Water Swimming Festival on the island of Mallorca. So much so, that I created a separate thread. It's difficult for me to travel far for only one swim...especially if they are short...so The Best Fest, with 8 events in 7 days, is WONDERFUL. Worth the consideration. Mark
  • ...Big Shoulders (as usual)...With the apparent demise of the La Rolla Rough Water Gatorman (historically the same weekend as Big Shoulders and my favorite OW weekend), I am going to try to make the trek to Chicago this year and finally attempt Big Shoulders. By the way, if anyone has any insight into what's going on with the La Jolla event, I'd appreciate it.
  • Last I'd heard about La Jolla is that the sea lions have taken it over so much that the water is constantly contaminated by their poop. The last two years, I believe, the levels have been so high that they didn't want to risk people getting sick. When I was a kid growing up out there, you'd only see a couple, but now, they're all over the cliffs there. Sounds like some great races/events listed here. I hadn't heard about the 10k in Mexico. I said I'd never go back there, but that sounds like a fun race. And Mallorca is one I've been eyeballing for a few years now. Won't be this year, but someday. Hmmm.... Who else? What fun events?
  • 2018 is going to be my first year swimming /competing in open water events. I grew up swimming in normal pool swim meets and now that I'm older and have kids I'm looking to get back into shape but have a different venue of competition. I grew up swimming in lakes and so I thought why not try open water. 😀 As the year is approaching I am trying to figure out which OW events to go to this year. I want to stay with in a few hours of Dover, De. I am looking at the Jim McDonnell lake swim, escape to Lewes, and possibly one in PA(I forget the name). I was going to only try 1 or 2 milers at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions on good events on the east coast for a first timer or any general tips for OW competitions? Thanks in advance!!!