golfers elbow

All of a sudden after four years of competing and regular workouts my medial right elbow is strained and hurts with stroke. I am in the 75-79 age group.. How do I modify my stroke to alleviate the strain. I swim all four strokes and am entered at Harvard ten events in two weeks. I am icing and using ibuprofen. Thanks
  • I was going to start a thread on this but you beat me to it. Similar to your problem but both of my forearms have this problem. It's been like this for about 6 months. It can get severe enough that I have trouble opening doors. I've tried everything at my disposal and will be seeing a MD soon. 45-50 I attached an image that describes the area that triggers the pain.
  • This injury (medical name medial epicondylitis) is very common among swimmers. If you use the search function you will find a lot of threads about medial elbow pain with personal histories and advice.
  • I had some relief from the Theraband Flexbar YouTube - Thera-Band FlexBar "Reverse Tyler Twist" for Golfers Elbow
  • I'm a semi-expert on this, having been suffering for over 15 months. The following youtube may help you with exercises. You should know that on average, people can take up to 18 months or longer to heal properly. One of the things that has helped me the most (especially with waking up in the middle of the night in pain) is using Kinesio Tape to prevent muscle spasms in your sleep. ALSO, add 250mg of magnesium (one pill) to your night time pills - or up to 500mg every other day - magnesium is a smooth muscle relaxer & will also help reduce restless leg syndrome. A word of caution though, you may end up with "the trots" if you overdo the magnesium. www.youtube.com/watch Also, check out: www.DIYINJURYREHAB.com Best Wishes:):):)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    I have this condition as well, which was brought about by use of over-sized hand paddles. I think that rest, ice, and ibuprofen are the initial treatments of choice. Sometimes surgery is required if it gets really bad. I ignored the symptoms many years ago to my peril. One night the pain in my left elbow became severe, preventing me from sleeping and triggering a bout of shingles, which is extremely painful in its own right.
  • Where do you purchase "Theraband Flex Bars"? I have a couple friends with elbow pain and I'd like to show them this link and tell them where to get the bar.
  • Where do you purchase "Theraband Flex Bars"? I have a couple friends with elbow pain and I'd like to show them this link and tell them where to get the bar. I got mine at Amazon.
  • I have been using small paddles for 12 years because of this strain. It has worked out well for me!:applaud:
  • Stretching, ice, rest, strengthening opposing muscles, ibuprofen all tried with no success. Went to a doctor, he got sidetracked once I told him my hands fall asleep at night. Went to another doctor and I told him to give me a shot in the area. Been 2 weeks and thus far it's fixed:applaud:. I might have my other elbow, which isn't as bad as the other was but still aches, injected too.
  • Just curious if any of you that have had this issue found you tend to lock your elbows at certain times during yours strokes (other than streamline push-off)?? Locking loaded joints cause inflammation during weight training so it seems logical it could happen with water resistance "loading" as well.