golfers elbow

All of a sudden after four years of competing and regular workouts my medial right elbow is strained and hurts with stroke. I am in the 75-79 age group.. How do I modify my stroke to alleviate the strain. I swim all four strokes and am entered at Harvard ten events in two weeks. I am icing and using ibuprofen. Thanks
  • Thank you! I've been suffering for years with this. Hopefully this will help. thank you
  • In addition to everything everyone else has suggested, I have heard that a lot of people have success with Rolflex or Armaid devices. I just bought one because I am having some elbow problems after I started rock climbing in addition to swimming. So far it seems to be helping, but I literally just started using it.
  • In my experience - you need to strengthen the forearms - i keep squishy "balls" in my car and squeeze those while i drive back and forth from work - maybe 80-100 reps with each hand. after doing this for a week or so - my problem goes away. i avoid paddles because i think they put too much strain on older shoulders and joints.
  • 7 yrs ago I tried everything then got a shot. Has not bothered me since
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I have this problem as well. I’ve already had surgery on my right elbow and it was a complete success. Recovery was about 30 days. PT will be required to regain range of motion. I’m at the point where my left elbow is going down the tube. I’ve talked to my surgeon...I’ve had 2 cortisone shots already and they’re only lasting about 2 months. I may have surgery on the left elbow soon. Just depends on my threshold for pain. No real suggestions other than the shot. It allows the area to settle down a bit. Once the tendon is damaged (which is what your issue is) it takes a long time to heal. Tendons need blood to heal and that is not an area that gets a lot of blood flow. At least that’s what my surgeon said. Wish you the best 😊