Women's Locker Room

Here's a thread for the ladies to discuss anything that relates to women and swimming. For example, feel free to discuss how disgustingly ugly fastskins are, how the "curse" can kill a meet, how suits don't fit, how swimming wrecks your hair, how hormones unhinge you, etc.
  • Okay, I'm still trying to figure out if I should get a new, smaller tech. suit. I currently have a FSII, zipper back, ankle length, size 28. It takes me maybe 2 minutes tops to put it on. I'm 5'6", 130, big hips (37"), small waist (26), tiny chest (34). My polyester workout suits are 30-32, my lycra suits (for non-championship meets) are 26-28. Should I try a 26 in a FS? It sounds really small! Thanks for your input. And Donna, I highly recommend the ankle length over the knee skin. The knee skins seem far too tight on the bottom seam, especially if you're like me and don't have skinny thighs. A friend of mine, luckily a sprinter, couldn't keep hers on for very long at all without losing circulation. She said that she wouldn't get another knee-skin. Go smaller. 27 would fit you fine, I'm guessing. I would never wear a kneeskin either.
  • Kneeskins are the root of all evil. I nearly amputated my legs above the knee the last time I tried one on. Wow, after reading this thread I'm convinced my suit is too big. I'm 5'4" and 132 with very muscular quads. Once any suit makes it to my waist, it's clear sailing to pull it up the rest of the way. I practice in a 32, do local meets in a 30/32 and I got a size 28 Tyr Aquashift full legsuit. Last time I got a tech suit in 2006, I got a size 30 Tyr Aquashift (I was 9 months post-partum at the time and still extremely busty due to nursing.) It probably takes me about 2 min to get into the suit. Ah well, next Nats I'll try to size down again!
  • And Donna, I highly recommend the ankle length over the knee skin. The knee skins seem far too tight on the bottom seam, especially if you're like me and don't have skinny thighs. A friend of mine, luckily a sprinter, couldn't keep hers on for very long at all without losing circulation. She said that she wouldn't get another knee-skin. I guess I'll have some fun at Nationals shopping! Especially since in my case I really need to try it on and see just which size to get now. I checked ebay last night but did not see anything available above a 27. Knowing in a regular suit I am a 38 I just don't have the comfort level of shelling out full price for a 29 without trying it on. I must admit I do like my Tyr AquaShift. Kristilynn, what is the difference in feel between the Tyr and Speedo suits and which would you recommend? Especially since I see your picture sporting another favorite of mine the Aquapel.
  • Not that the suit discussion isn't fascinating, but I was wondering whether anyone is having immune system issues or chronic sinusitis? Aside from Hulk, this problem seems to strike more women than men. Most people I know with sinus issues are women. Winter and spring are just deadly. Any way to avoid this? It sucks getting sick right before a meet. I'd love to have my first healthy April in many years, especially having invested the money to go to Nats. I think when the pollen hits big time, I'll have to resort to the neti pot. And while I'm in the locker room, I would just like to say that the 40s suck! I was healthier, slept much better in my 30s and didn't have these PM issues then. I can't stand those stupid commercials about how we are supposed to "come into our own" and "gain confidence" in our 40s. Bunch of baloney. I was fine in my 30s.
  • I agree everything seems to come apart in the 40's but then again I was able to put it all back together better than in my 20's and 30's, atleast thinner! With chronic lower back pain I can't really say healthier though. But then again over time it has gotten much better. As to the sinus issues I too have that problem usually Feb & Mar. This March I went to Atlanta for a meet and had the worst case of sinus congestion ever. Upon returning home to Savannah I have to say that MEGA dose of pollen from Atlanta made Savannah begin to feel like heaven. My sinuses have cleared up since then YEAH!
  • I ordered a size 26 in the FSPro high neck. I'm sending it back for a 25. I probably won't be able to breathe during any of my races but the 26 went over my thighs way too easily. Mind you hips and *** were squeezed in ... sigh ...
  • and here I thought fort was only in her mid to late 20's :doh: Aw, thanks. :hug: FlyQueen, I'm trying my on tonight and, if it's on in under 10 minutes, I'm sending it back for a smaller size too. Sheesh.
  • If you need a smaller size I can send you my 26.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I also am not a woman. At the pool where I swim one afternoon i realized that it was very accidently easy to look into the women's lockerroom. the area where the commodes are. always think about where you are and who might be looking. How easy it is to get access to you and are you safe and protected. Many lockerrooms in large university fitness centers are very isolated, muti=doored and not monitored. I live in a twon with a big 10 uiversity that doesn't have a mens' swim team, I always hear about guys getting things stolen in the lockerrooms. Never about the women.
  • I guess I'll have some fun at Nationals shopping! Especially since in my case I really need to try it on and see just which size to get now. I checked ebay last night but did not see anything available above a 27. Knowing in a regular suit I am a 38 I just don't have the comfort level of shelling out full price for a 29 without trying it on. I must admit I do like my Tyr AquaShift. Kristilynn, what is the difference in feel between the Tyr and Speedo suits and which would you recommend? Especially since I see your picture sporting another favorite of mine the Aquapel. Donna, I first purchased my TYR Aquapel for the 2005 SCY Nats. It was my first technical suit, and I liked it just fine. I also used it for Nats in '06 and at Worlds at Stanford. By the end of Worlds I felt like it was stretching out, so I bought my FSII. I really can't say that I preferred one over the other. I do think that the Speedo runs smaller than the TYR, but my performances have been about the same in both suits. The TYR material feels slicker to the touch, and it may have a bit looser fit through the hips. That's about the only difference I noticed. And... congrats on the weight loss:)