Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Skip, For practical purposes, my 54.3 is the same time as Dara's 54.4. Note, I was 51.1 back in 1984. That's a 3.2 second spread, and it almost killed me last summer. It was a really ugly swim. My yards times are similar for my age .... 43.9 in college and 47 low in my 40s. I'm not sure I understand your point. Don't you find it interesting that Susan Von Der Lippe (i.e Rapp) a multiple Olympic team member *** in individual events *** is currently not able to final or place in the top 3 at US nationals let alone win. Susan's talent and efforts are startling for her age (i.e. 1:12 100m *** made cuts for trials) ...... but she does not beat the best men her age in the same event. There is a significant comparative leap that Dara has made with these swims in my opinion. John Smith So you are saying that it is not physically possible (unless using drug aids) to swim as fast at 40 as you did in your 20's? Where is it written? All I know is that there is more evidence to support her being clean that there is to support her being dirty.
  • Former Member
    "There is a significant comparative leap that Dara has made with these swims in my opinion." Interesting thought and well put.
  • Former Member
    SCYFreestyler: Sure, let's see what the tests have to say and give the test to all of the final 8 swimmers in the finals. Why not? Why not in cycling or anywhere else in sports. Hey, if everyone is clean, why not? I had a high security clearance in a former job and I took one without offense. My bet is the results would be shocking to say the least. I believe quite a few of the top athletes in many sports are not clean. If a lie detector test is not admissable in a court of law as evidence then why in the hell would we want to use it as a drug testing method? Seriously?
  • Skip, I answered your question. Now you answer mine. That was no answer. John Smith He can't give an answer without speculating and detests speculation. I would note that everyone is entitled to their opinion, meaningless though it may be by scientific or legal standards. Opinions, by definition, cannot always be "proven."
  • Former Member
    "All I know is that there is more evidence to support her being clean that there is to support her being dirty." This statement is 100% correct, but only after years in retirement where there is ZERO evidence to support anything. The effects of the strength gained during the time of drug use does not immediately go away and can and has been proven to continue to assist in the continued strength of that athlete. It raises the bar to build on. Meaning, yes, when the drugs stop, things do not grow as strong or as fast, but the lasting effects can and have been evident long after the drug use ended.
  • Former Member
    Look, this name calling and bickering is pointless. Until there is proof one way or the other...it's an opinion--we all know the saying. Let's not drag her name through mud or even attempt to...we look like squabbling kids. What if her mother reads it or something...ya know?
  • Evil One, I propose a modern day Billy Jean King...vs.. Bobby Riggs match up between you and Dara in the 100m free. It's the perfect male vs. female match up. I'll sell the tickets..... and laugh at your stroke the last 10 meters... :-) You can't let a girl beat you now. John Smith Oh Skinny One....now that you've wasted away to a paltry 179 lbs (and you don't have to change the size on your jeans ala Seinfeld)....you want to throw ME into a mix up with Dara? Listen.....I saw her arms....they make Saeger look like wimp! By the way....how much does it piss you off that besides never reclaiming your 50 free record in the 40-44 bracket....I also have 200 more posts than you....sleep well tonight loser!
  • Former Member
    SCYFreestyler: For the same reason it is used in many areas of business, security, law enforcement and military applications. It is a proven effective tool used by most law enforcement agencies in our country. Our laws do not permit the use of it in a court of law because or legal system trusts the evidence and testimony against the accused or suspect more then they do a machine. In sports, there are no witnesses or testimonies; for athletes who cheat, hide what they do very well. I simply think it would be an interesting exercise to see what all 8 finalists tests would have to say in every sport.
  • Former Member
    Kirk, Ah yes..... my wife.... then Freshman Tori Trees....... outside smoke lane 8 in the finals. One of only a handful of people in the sport ever to make the Olympic team from lane eight. Seems like 100 years ago John Smith
  • Former Member
    SCYFreestyler: For the same reason it is used in many areas of business, security, law enforcement and military applications. It is a proven effective tool used by most law enforcement agencies in our country. Our laws do not permit the use of it in a court of law because or legal system trusts the evidence and testimony against the accused or suspect more then they do a machine. In sports, there are no witnesses or testimonies; for athletes who cheat, hide what they do very well. I simply think it would be an interesting exercise to see what all 8 finalists tests would have to say in every sport. So what do you do with the results? Ban people from competing? I don't see that as being a reasonable course of action.