Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
  • She is an insipriation for all of us. :banana::cheerleader::party2::wine:
  • I think the strongest (circumstantial) argument against Dara doping is that she would likely to have been doing so while pregnant. I can't imagine any woman conciously endangering the health of her yet-to-be-born child that way. Skip Montanaro
  • I can't believe anyone thinks she *isn't* on drugs to be honest. And yet I find the optimism charming.
  • I think the strongest (circumstantial) argument against Dara doping is that she would likely to have been doing so while pregnant. I can't imagine any woman conciously endangering the health of her yet-to-be-born child that way. Skip Montanaro I dunno about that. Plenty of women smoking, drinking, taking drugs, eating crap and exposed to god knows what else during pregnancy. I'm sure she has ample supervision by physicians during practically every waking moment. Who knows? I think the blogger marshaled some interesting theories, which I hope aren't true. (Except that bit about his back, as (S)he-Man so ably pointed out. Clueless male!) The bit about the comparative failure of Spitz's attempted comeback was interesting. Rocket fuel or not, it's still amazing swimming on her part. I just can't help but be a little cynical. And now I see that some_girl won't think I'm charming ... As for drug testing at Nats, am I missing something, or don't drug cheats cycle off the drugs in time to avoid positive tests? (Barry Bonds? There's solid evidence against him. Give it up! I wish he'd sit down.)
  • If you look at her career, I do not know how anyone could honestly say she is doping. She is just a drop dead sprinter - like Rich Abrahams, Gary Hall Jr. She has stayed in terrific shape throughout her life. Just an amazing speciman!!
  • If you look at her career, I do not know how anyone could honestly say she is doping. She is just a drop dead sprinter - like Rich Abrahams, Gary Hall Jr. She has stayed in terrific shape throughout her life. Just an amazing speciman!! No doubt she is amazingly talented. Didn't she admit she took creatine? Are Olympic athletes permitted to take that? I thought not.
  • I just assumed that similar to cycling, they do catch people using these substances. However, there is most likely some truth to your suggestion. Well, given what I've read about how careful Michael Phelps is about even accidental ingestion of some vitamin, you're probably right. If using drugs systematically, a swimmer would eventually get caught. I'm not sure, as a masters swimmer for awhile, how much Dara would have been tested. I don't mean to cast any aspersions. I really have no idea whatsoever. She is obviously a talented, athletic phenom. I'm only saying that I can understand why people are cynical. There have been rumblings for awhile. No doubt Dara is prepared for the public suspicion -- just like Amanda Beard was prepared for the Playboy fallout. Tracy: I know you love Barry Bonds, but did you miss the Balco investigation? I agree with Sally Jenkins -- he should sit down.
  • Fort, I am a True Blue Dodger fan from LA....so that should tell you what I think of Barry and the Giants....on the note of what we are talking about: If Balco is proof why is he still not in Jail? Or banned from the game? I am still waiting for something that proves his guilt....... Like Michael Vick.....on tape is pretty clear proof! He's not banned from the game because baseball supported/ignored steroid use to ramp up attendance and public attention/adulation. Michael Vick ... I might be ill ... Blech. Ugh. I'm a true blue New England Red Sox fan. :bouncing: I also, by geography, was forced to become a Twins fan during portions of my youth. I have possession of several homer hankies. (Except I was also saddened and disillusioned by Kirby Puckett. :shakeshead:)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Agreed. She is the reason I'm back in the water and training. If she can do it at 40 after having a child, then why should I be lying around making excuses for why I can't swim at 21? :)