Contoured paddles vs. Flat paddles

Former Member
Former Member
Howdy folks, Currently I am using speedo's contoured swim paddles and they work great, but it is time for me to move up to the next size. Is there a difference between these paddles and other "flat" paddles (meaning will one or the other be more effective for training)? Or does it just come down to personal preference? Thanks
  • I've had a pair of the TYR Catalyst paddles for years. That doesn't mean I use them everyday, but I have them available for me on deck, if I need/want them. I usually only use paddles for either a long-easier set, or if we have a specific pull set. I do see some people using paddles for most sets, and to me that doesn't seem the correct usage of them. I'd estimate I end up using them once every two weeks, usually no more than 1,000 yards in a workout. As for the type of paddles, I'd either stop by a swim/sporting goods store and try out a few different sizes/styles, or better yet ask other swimmers at your pool if you can try theirs. I get asked almost once a week if someone can try mine. I like these because they have large holes in the middle, so my hands still get a feel for the water. Another plus--they take the regular tubing, can use surgical or landscape tubing if I want. Some of the newer paddles have special straps, once they go you either need a new pair or order those special replacements, at special prices. The tubing usually lasts about 2 years for me and is pretty inexpensive.
  • I firmly believe that all you gain by using paddles is the ability to use paddles. I have yet to see paddles that improve real stroking. I found that after a pull set I had to re-adjust my stroke for the next real set without paddles. I used those TYR catalyst as well many years ago. Other than being useful for lacerating lane mates, they were of no value for stroke improvement. Triathletes seem to be the primary consumer of paddles.
  • Good coaching and proper technique would have done the same thing and you would have avoided the shoulder surgery (provided it was swimming related). Why can't you focus on proper hand position and smooth swimming without paddles? Paddles are aquatic crutches.
  • Originally posted by Fishgrrl Wrong again! What am I wrong about? Just because you like them doesn't mean they are worth a hoot. This is what I don't get about paddles. Let's say they do improve stroke technique. At some point you should not need them anymore so why keep on using them? If you have proper technique then using paddles is a sure fire way to put undue stress on your shoulder with no other benefit. You say paddles force you to use "proper swimming muscles." If you are only using those muscles when using paddles then you have bad stroke technique when not using paddles, and, by default, paddles are not improving this. You should use proper swimming muscles when swimming all the time and not just when you use the paddles. I have yet to see a meet where there is a paddle race.
  • I agree with Fishgrrl. Paddles have improved my freestyle, primarily the catch. Many years ago my coach "suggested" we take off the wrist strap. And of course, no holding the paddles with your thumb and little finger. With no wrist strap, you have to keep your had in position to have pressure from the water, or it comes off. When it slips, it hurts the finger where the strap is. I made the most improvement when I alternated swims in a set. When I was learning, I'd do odds with paddles and evens without, trying to get the same feel for the water. I am coaching now and always tell my swimmers that if you have to hold the paddle on, you are doing it wrong and are risking injury. I think paddles should be diagnostic.
  • Originally posted by scyfreestyler I see a lot of people using paddles at our pool but I just don't really see a need. Is it to build strength? I also see people swimming sets with fins on. What is up with that? I prefer to train like I race. For better or for worse, that is my decision. I swam with another masters group last week, and was surprised at all the 'toys' people had on deck (tough to get in/out of the pool it was so bad). The coach actually had sets where parts were pulling (with paddles), kicking (with fins), and some with both. Since I was just visiting and was lucky to have a suit and goggles (and my hotel towel), I just swam the whole thing, and did some kicking with just arms out front. Like I said earlier, at my home pool I have my stuff in a mesh bag on deck, in case I need/want to use it. Even for long kick sets I rarely wear fins; used to all the time and was just not improving my kick. A good coach we recently got on my team has helped me improve my kick tremendously (no fins).
  • So, with the knowledge, directly from your coach, that they encourage or increase the chance of injury and the fact that you acknowledge you only use proper swimming muscles when using your paddles, you chose to use them anyway? And, Betsy, why spend all that time learning how to swim with paddles when you could use the time to actually improve your real stroke? My daughter had training wheels on her bike but once she learned how to ride we took them off.
  • Geek, I assume that all four strokes or yours are perfect and will continue to be perfect forever. Paddles serve their purpose and obviously many swimmers like them. There are plenty of elite swimmers that use paddles all the time. They build strength, as well as allow you to feel where you are slipping in the water. Since my shoulder problems I haven't put a pair on and won't for another few months. There is also something to be said for any training aid that helps you swim faster. It lets you feel how it is to swim that fast. Closer to race pace swimming. Do you ever use fins, paddles, kick boards or pull bouys?
  • My strokes are far from perfect, I like my coffee with cream and scotch over ice, no whisky. But, back to swimming. Why not swim at race pace without paddles? So, in a real race you are at a disadvantage cause you only know race pace swimming with paddles. I do occasionally use a pull buoy when I'm gassed. I use fins when snorkeling or scuba diving and paddles when digging sand castles with my kids.
  • Originally posted by aquageek I have yet to see a meet where there is a paddle race. I have yet to see a major league pitcher throw a 60 mph pitch, yet most major leaguers take batting practice against pitches like that. Likewise, body builders can't use dumbbells during a competition, yet I imagine most of them workout using weights.