Contoured paddles vs. Flat paddles

Former Member
Former Member
Howdy folks, Currently I am using speedo's contoured swim paddles and they work great, but it is time for me to move up to the next size. Is there a difference between these paddles and other "flat" paddles (meaning will one or the other be more effective for training)? Or does it just come down to personal preference? Thanks
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Geek, you have something against orthopedic surgeons? I would say use the larger ones if you're really in a hurry to damage your rotator cuff.
  • Former Member
    Wrong! I began using paddles after I had shoulder surgery this summer and they've helped me inprove my freestyle stroke tremendously. Because I don't wear the hand (wrist) strap, I am forced to focus on a smooth hand entry and pull, which takes the pressure off my shoulder and engages the proper swimming muscles. Sometimes I'll swim part of a set with paddles, and part of the set without them; I always notice that after I use the paddles, I become much more conscious of how my hand enters the water, etc.
  • Originally posted by knelson I have yet to see a major league pitcher throw a 60 mph pitch, yet most major leaguers take batting practice against pitches like that. Likewise, body builders can't use dumbbells during a competition, yet I imagine most of them workout using weights. I'll give you credit for this, hard to argue with it.
  • Former Member
    Wrong again! Different things work for different people. Our coach has us use them for certain parts of our workout. Also, my surgery was not swimming related; it was running related! lol. I tripped on a crack in the sidewalk (years ago) and it never really healed correctly, which is one of the reasons I prefer water sports.
  • Former Member
    I see a lot of people using paddles at our pool but I just don't really see a need. Is it to build strength? I also see people swimming sets with fins on. What is up with that? I prefer to train like I race. For better or for worse, that is my decision. I'll keep checking back...I'm interested to see what benefits these crutches provide.
  • Former Member
    That's why they're called T-R-A-I-N-I-N-G E-Q-U-I-P-M-E-N-T and it flys both ways - just because YOU don't think they're worth a "hoot" doesn't mean that someone else doesn't find them helpful and effective. I don't feel any stress on my shoulder when I use them, but I know that some people do, and our coach discourages them from using paddles.
  • Former Member
    You purist you! :--) I suppose you drink your coffee black and your whisky straight, with no ice.... I still give props to paddles; they've helped my stroke and I will continue to use them, no matter how much you make fun of them or diss them or whatever. You certainly don't have to use them, as that is your right. But I will continue to use pool toys, as encouraged by our coach: I will use fins, I will use paddles, but you won't catch me with a floater between my legs.... I cannot argue with you, as you are set against paddles and no matter what anyone tells you, you will not "listen." That's OK by me; that's part of what makes this forum so much fun!
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by HHowland It lets you feel how it is to swim that fast. Closer to race pace swimming. Do you ever use fins, paddles, kick boards or pull bouys? I swim at or near race pace every couple of workouts, sans crutches. I feel the need to replicate a race pace in a workout with the same extras I have during a race...which is just a Jammer. This way I feel much more at home in a race because I swim this way once or twice a week...no biggie. The only extra I ever use in a workout is a kickboard, and that is a rarity. Most of my kicking is done on my back since it is easier on my shoulders.
  • Former Member
    Originally posted by aztimm I swam with another masters group last week, and was surprised at all the 'toys' people had on deck (tough to get in/out of the pool it was so bad). The coach actually had sets where parts were pulling (with paddles), kicking (with fins), and some with both. Since I was just visiting and was lucky to have a suit and goggles (and my hotel towel), I just swam the whole thing, and did some kicking with just arms out front. Like I said earlier, at my home pool I have my stuff in a mesh bag on deck, in case I need/want to use it. Even for long kick sets I rarely wear fins; used to all the time and was just not improving my kick. A good coach we recently got on my team has helped me improve my kick tremendously (no fins). That is pretty funny...the part about being difficult to get in and out of the pool due to the surplus of crap on deck! Those people probably thought you were some old school swimmer missing out on all of the latest aquatic trickery. If they only knew..... I have always avoided fins and pull buoys because I was afraid to become reliant upon them. As I stated above I do use a kickboard when the mood strikes me but I don't make a habit of it.
  • Former Member
    Dear Scotch Drinker: But I DO practice at race pace without paddles! I never use paddles on timed sets, which we have at least once a week, because that's when they defeat the purpose. You're right - we don't use them in a real race, so why use them (like that) in practice - I'm totally on the same page with you on that one. However, I also believe that there is a time and place for me to use paddles, and I've benefited tremendously from them. I swim with folks who use fins all the time and I know that that can't be helpful, but what are ya gonna say? Take your freakin' fins off? As long as they don't ride my butt, I'm OK with it. Anyway...