Contoured paddles vs. Flat paddles

Former Member
Former Member
Howdy folks, Currently I am using speedo's contoured swim paddles and they work great, but it is time for me to move up to the next size. Is there a difference between these paddles and other "flat" paddles (meaning will one or the other be more effective for training)? Or does it just come down to personal preference? Thanks
Parents
  • I've had a pair of the TYR Catalyst paddles for years. That doesn't mean I use them everyday, but I have them available for me on deck, if I need/want them. I usually only use paddles for either a long-easier set, or if we have a specific pull set. I do see some people using paddles for most sets, and to me that doesn't seem the correct usage of them. I'd estimate I end up using them once every two weeks, usually no more than 1,000 yards in a workout. As for the type of paddles, I'd either stop by a swim/sporting goods store and try out a few different sizes/styles, or better yet ask other swimmers at your pool if you can try theirs. I get asked almost once a week if someone can try mine. I like these because they have large holes in the middle, so my hands still get a feel for the water. Another plus--they take the regular tubing, can use surgical or landscape tubing if I want. Some of the newer paddles have special straps, once they go you either need a new pair or order those special replacements, at special prices. The tubing usually lasts about 2 years for me and is pretty inexpensive.
  • I've had a pair of the TYR Catalyst paddles for years. That doesn't mean I use them everyday, but I have them available for me on deck, if I need/want them. I usually only use paddles for either a long-easier set, or if we have a specific pull set. I do see some people using paddles for most sets, and to me that doesn't seem the correct usage of them. I'd estimate I end up using them once every two weeks, usually no more than 1,000 yards in a workout. As for the type of paddles, I'd either stop by a swim/sporting goods store and try out a few different sizes/styles, or better yet ask other swimmers at your pool if you can try theirs. I get asked almost once a week if someone can try mine. I like these because they have large holes in the middle, so my hands still get a feel for the water. Another plus--they take the regular tubing, can use surgical or landscape tubing if I want. Some of the newer paddles have special straps, once they go you either need a new pair or order those special replacements, at special prices. The tubing usually lasts about 2 years for me and is pretty inexpensive.
Children
No Data