Contoured paddles vs. Flat paddles

Former Member
Former Member
Howdy folks, Currently I am using speedo's contoured swim paddles and they work great, but it is time for me to move up to the next size. Is there a difference between these paddles and other "flat" paddles (meaning will one or the other be more effective for training)? Or does it just come down to personal preference? Thanks
Parents
  • Originally posted by scyfreestyler I see a lot of people using paddles at our pool but I just don't really see a need. Is it to build strength? I also see people swimming sets with fins on. What is up with that? I prefer to train like I race. For better or for worse, that is my decision. I swam with another masters group last week, and was surprised at all the 'toys' people had on deck (tough to get in/out of the pool it was so bad). The coach actually had sets where parts were pulling (with paddles), kicking (with fins), and some with both. Since I was just visiting and was lucky to have a suit and goggles (and my hotel towel), I just swam the whole thing, and did some kicking with just arms out front. Like I said earlier, at my home pool I have my stuff in a mesh bag on deck, in case I need/want to use it. Even for long kick sets I rarely wear fins; used to all the time and was just not improving my kick. A good coach we recently got on my team has helped me improve my kick tremendously (no fins).
  • Originally posted by scyfreestyler I see a lot of people using paddles at our pool but I just don't really see a need. Is it to build strength? I also see people swimming sets with fins on. What is up with that? I prefer to train like I race. For better or for worse, that is my decision. I swam with another masters group last week, and was surprised at all the 'toys' people had on deck (tough to get in/out of the pool it was so bad). The coach actually had sets where parts were pulling (with paddles), kicking (with fins), and some with both. Since I was just visiting and was lucky to have a suit and goggles (and my hotel towel), I just swam the whole thing, and did some kicking with just arms out front. Like I said earlier, at my home pool I have my stuff in a mesh bag on deck, in case I need/want to use it. Even for long kick sets I rarely wear fins; used to all the time and was just not improving my kick. A good coach we recently got on my team has helped me improve my kick tremendously (no fins).
Children
No Data