Contoured paddles vs. Flat paddles

Former Member
Former Member
Howdy folks, Currently I am using speedo's contoured swim paddles and they work great, but it is time for me to move up to the next size. Is there a difference between these paddles and other "flat" paddles (meaning will one or the other be more effective for training)? Or does it just come down to personal preference? Thanks
Parents
  • I firmly believe that all you gain by using paddles is the ability to use paddles. I have yet to see paddles that improve real stroking. I found that after a pull set I had to re-adjust my stroke for the next real set without paddles. I used those TYR catalyst as well many years ago. Other than being useful for lacerating lane mates, they were of no value for stroke improvement. Triathletes seem to be the primary consumer of paddles.
  • I firmly believe that all you gain by using paddles is the ability to use paddles. I have yet to see paddles that improve real stroking. I found that after a pull set I had to re-adjust my stroke for the next real set without paddles. I used those TYR catalyst as well many years ago. Other than being useful for lacerating lane mates, they were of no value for stroke improvement. Triathletes seem to be the primary consumer of paddles.
Children
No Data