Contoured paddles vs. Flat paddles

Former Member
Former Member
Howdy folks, Currently I am using speedo's contoured swim paddles and they work great, but it is time for me to move up to the next size. Is there a difference between these paddles and other "flat" paddles (meaning will one or the other be more effective for training)? Or does it just come down to personal preference? Thanks
Parents
  • I agree with Fishgrrl. Paddles have improved my freestyle, primarily the catch. Many years ago my coach "suggested" we take off the wrist strap. And of course, no holding the paddles with your thumb and little finger. With no wrist strap, you have to keep your had in position to have pressure from the water, or it comes off. When it slips, it hurts the finger where the strap is. I made the most improvement when I alternated swims in a set. When I was learning, I'd do odds with paddles and evens without, trying to get the same feel for the water. I am coaching now and always tell my swimmers that if you have to hold the paddle on, you are doing it wrong and are risking injury. I think paddles should be diagnostic.
  • I agree with Fishgrrl. Paddles have improved my freestyle, primarily the catch. Many years ago my coach "suggested" we take off the wrist strap. And of course, no holding the paddles with your thumb and little finger. With no wrist strap, you have to keep your had in position to have pressure from the water, or it comes off. When it slips, it hurts the finger where the strap is. I made the most improvement when I alternated swims in a set. When I was learning, I'd do odds with paddles and evens without, trying to get the same feel for the water. I am coaching now and always tell my swimmers that if you have to hold the paddle on, you are doing it wrong and are risking injury. I think paddles should be diagnostic.
Children
No Data