Video Analysis - Butterfly

Former Member
Former Member
Hi there, any suggestions for improvement on my butterfly would be appreciated! Here's a video of my butterfly from underwater; vimeo.com/259482275 Over the top: vimeo.com/259482131 And lastly a static video starting off with one arm drills, and full stroke beginning around 1:28: vimeo.com/259364445 Thanks in advance for your time,
  • For most underwater videos I use the basic free gopro software that comes with it. I have 2 cameras, the GP LCD and the GP sessions 5, they’re relatively cheap and rugged. Honestly though, the software and apps are temperamental and crash but does have many editing features and creates a good product. For the app on my phone I use the free gopro Quik. It also has a wireless feature but unfortunately looses connection UW. For keeping it sturdy UW I just zip tie it to something heavy. I also use my Iphone in a waterproof case then use the phone’s standard Photos app to edit off uneeded stuff at beginning or end. If I need to clip a portion in the middle of I just make a copy and turn material into two separate clips. The slow motion has 200 or something frames per second making sprints, block starts and turns very expressive. Youtube itself also has good editing features.
  • Youtube itself also has good editing features. Thanks, Steve. I never even thought of poking around YouTube's "Edit Video" feature. I'm stabilizing a breaststroke video I just posted and messing around with editing some old videos to get an idea of how the editing features work.
  • From what I can tell it looks quite good. But I’m not commenting due to stroke- others much more qualified than me for that. What I can recommend despite knowing the effort, time and guts it takes to produce a video of yourself alone for review, For a more vast collection of feedback may I suggest: - editing or also splicing videos down to reviewable material - shorten clips - youtube uploads seem to work a little better on my devices and guess others too - don’t view from aft- water all turned up with bubbles - pool water seems more clear for filming prior to treatment than after Good luck, videos are a powerful tool to improve swimming and to go faster, keep it up
  • Steve, can you recommend a good (and free) video editing software? Although I am proficient in editing still photos, I know NOTHING about editing video. Thanks! :)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    yeah same here. There's a little crop function in Quicktime where I could shorten the video, but there must be something better.
  • Former Member
    Hi my name is Kaden, my 100 fly scy is a 51 mid. First off I’d like to compliment you on your underwaters, they’re honestly better than my own. Try working on keeping your hips up and work on the front 8” on your pull. It seems like your hips are dragging you down and you’re not getting as much power out of your catch. Good luck! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Arrieros, The most obvious aspect that I would suggest working on is the timing of when you lower your head after taking a breathe. Currently, you are lowering your head (looks like tucking your chin a bit) in advance of when your arms come around on the recovery. Lowering your head too soon will result in slightly less extension at the front of the stroke and cause your upper body to be lower in the water. This will translate into a higher likelihood of dropping your elbows during the first phase of the pull which leads to less power during the main power phase of the pull. This is most evident during the second length of your 50 when you start breathing 1 up-1 down. So, given that explanation, I suggest two things: a) Keep looking forward until your arms are "in front" of your shoulders during the recovery. b) To initiate the pull, think about "pressing" your feet towards the surface (some might call it an upkick). Done properly, this will result in your shoulder/upper body lifting and makes it easier to pull with your elbows in a "high catch" position. The third thing I would focus on involves your turn. Initiate the turn by drawing your knees into your chest instead of trying to get your upper body and hands off the wall faster. It may seem counter-intuitive, but it works. Good Luck. PW
  • Just two things I did notice - body/rear dropping on a few cycles (rhythm?), and dropped elbows (don't adjust if causes stress): a comparison to Misty Hyman's fly below 11488 It looks like you hold good momentum, then one stroke is off and you drop off. But we need to have a more experienced member look, particularly the last two vids
  • Former Member
    Just two things I did notice - body/rear dropping on a few cycles (rhythm?), and dropped elbows (don't adjust if causes stress): a comparison to Misty Hyman's fly below 11488 It looks like you hold good momentum, then one stroke is off and you drop off. But we need to have a more experienced member look, particularly the last two vids That’s a really good observation, thanks!
  • Arrieros, The most obvious aspect that I would suggest working on is the timing of when you lower your head after taking a breathe. Currently, you are lowering your head (looks like tucking your chin a bit) in advance of when your arms come around on the recovery. PW Is it worth the trade-off, though, if it makes it easier to get your arms around faster on recovery? I was told by a coach to get my head back down sooner to help get my arms around for a faster recovery and less splash on entry. In my case, though, I am an older (56) swimmer that is trying to improve my 200 fly and 400 IM.