Video Analysis - Butterfly

Former Member
Former Member
Hi there, any suggestions for improvement on my butterfly would be appreciated! Here's a video of my butterfly from underwater; vimeo.com/259482275 Over the top: vimeo.com/259482131 And lastly a static video starting off with one arm drills, and full stroke beginning around 1:28: vimeo.com/259364445 Thanks in advance for your time,
  • Ellaine K, I would love to hear the explanation of how dropping your head sooner speeds your recovery and results in less splash. It makes no sense to me. Age is immaterial. For fly, I would rather see the head higher longer than shorter Arrieros - for breaststroke and fly turns, the turn sequence is best if the following sequence is followed: a) After touching the wall, the first motion is pulling your knees to your chest. Use your hands as leverage at this point. This movement starts the rotation process. b) Wait until your feet are quite close to the wall before releasing your grasp. c) Before pushing off, make sure you can be streamline off the wall. You cannot push off until your feet get to the wall. The concept of getting your hands and upper body off the wall first actually increases the time it takes for your feet to get to the wall and reduce the amount of time you have to get a breath. If you doubt this, talk to a diving coach. They will tell you that the fastest way to spin is to initiate the back or reverse spin is by pulling the knees in instead of throwing their head back. Of course, experiment to see what works best for you.
  • Ellaine K, I would love to hear the explanation of how dropping your head sooner speeds your recovery and results in less splash. It makes no sense to me. Age is immaterial. For fly, I would rather see the head higher longer than shorter A coach who looked at my video said I was keeping my head up too high and for too long on the breath. He thought that for me with my past neck and shoulder injuries/thoracic outlet syndrome surgery (land-based; not from swimming), he thought if I lowered my head and neck earlier, it would physically be easier for me to get my arms around. Therefore, if it's easier and more comfortable, I will be able to get them around faster. I tried it, and for my particular physical issues, he was right. It wasn't long after that advice I was able to swim a 2,000 yard butterfly to qualify for the Butternuts: www.grinswim.org/.../butternuts.html . As for the splash, I'm still working on landing my hands softer once they get to where they need to be! P.S. If you want a good laugh, this is a current clip of my horrid fly. :lmao: I'm a breaststroker who likes to swim 200 fly and 400 IM as my add-on events at meets. I would love to be able to swim fly as well as arrieros! Any suggestions, in addition to changing my breathing, would be most appreciated! www.youtube.com/watch &index=46
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Arrieros, The most obvious aspect that I would suggest working on is the timing of when you lower your head after taking a breathe. Currently, you are lowering your head (looks like tucking your chin a bit) in advance of when your arms come around on the recovery. Lowering your head too soon will result in slightly less extension at the front of the stroke and cause your upper body to be lower in the water. This will translate into a higher likelihood of dropping your elbows during the first phase of the pull which leads to less power during the main power phase of the pull. This is most evident during the second length of your 50 when you start breathing 1 up-1 down. So, given that explanation, I suggest two things: a) Keep looking forward until your arms are "in front" of your shoulders during the recovery. b) To initiate the pull, think about "pressing" your feet towards the surface (some might call it an upkick). Done properly, this will result in your shoulder/upper body lifting and makes it easier to pull with your elbows in a "high catch" position. The third thing I would focus on involves your turn. Initiate the turn by drawing your knees into your chest instead of trying to get your upper body and hands off the wall faster. It may seem counter-intuitive, but it works. Good Luck. PW Thanks! Yes now I realize that if I tuck my head early and too deep it shortens my forward velocity. Can you go into further detail about your suggestion about the turn? Should I pull my knees in while my hands are still touching the wall?
  • As far as dropping off speed - were you trying to look as good as possible with the arms instead of working on speed? If so, I see that as the reason.
  • As far as dropping off speed - were you trying to look as good as possible with the arms instead of working on speed? If so, I see that as the reason. Orca, who are you asking-- me or arrieros? If you are asking me, I'm not concerned with speed as much as I am concerned with doing the stroke correctly. I am still unable to sustain an increased tempo for much more than a 50; however, when I slow my stroke and glide, I can complete a 200 (and more).
  • I think it’s actually harder to swim fly at a slower tempo and still be able to recover the arms... not to mention a distance of 200 (longest distance I ever did was a 100 and my feet and legs were completely numb after the first 50). Someone at my pool said any woman over the age of 25 who could do fly was in pretty good shape. Where I swim, it’s pretty unusual and rare to see adults of either gender swimming fly at all. As I mentioned above to Orca, for me, I am unable to swim a 200 fly at a faster tempo. I need that glide in between strokes!
  • I don’t think I could do 200 fly at any tempo... just out of curiosity what is your time? I did the 100 in 1:26 and the last 25 was taking in mouthfuls of water trying to breathe. I haven't broken 4:00 on the 200 fly since 2014 before my hip surgery, I'm that slow. :blush: And, I'm slower than that now. My 200 fly time probably ranks me down around 75-80% in my age group compared to my breaststroke times at 40%. I will swim it this weekend at a meet (after I swim the 1000 free!), so I will get an accurate time then.
  • Former Member
    Hi my name is Kaden, my 100 fly scy is a 51 mid. First off I’d like to compliment you on your underwaters, they’re honestly better than my own. Try working on keeping your hips up and work on the front 8” on your pull. It seems like your hips are dragging you down and you’re not getting as much power out of your catch. Good luck! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thank you for your feedback, Kaden :)
  • Former Member
    As I mentioned above to Orca, for me, I am unable to swim a 200 fly at a faster tempo. I need that glide in between strokes! I don’t think I could do 200 fly at any tempo... just out of curiosity what is your time? I did the 100 in 1:26 and the last 25 was taking in mouthfuls of water trying to breathe.
  • Former Member
    A coach who looked at my video said I was keeping my head up too high and for too long on the breath. He thought that for me with my past neck and shoulder injuries/thoracic outlet syndrome surgery (land-based; not from swimming), he thought if I lowered my head and neck earlier, it would physically be easier for me to get my arms around. Therefore, if it's easier and more comfortable, I will be able to get them around faster. I tried it, and for my particular physical issues, he was right. It wasn't long after that advice I was able to swim a 2,000 yard butterfly to qualify for the Butternuts: www.grinswim.org/.../butternuts.html . As for the splash, I'm still working on landing my hands softer once they get to where they need to be! P.S. If you want a good laugh, this is a current clip of my horrid fly. :lmao: I'm a breaststroker who likes to swim 200 fly and 400 IM as my add-on events at meets. I would love to be able to swim fly as well as arrieros! Any suggestions, in addition to changing my breathing, would be most appreciated! www.youtube.com/watch &index=46 I think it’s actually harder to swim fly at a slower tempo and still be able to recover the arms... not to mention a distance of 200 (longest distance I ever did was a 100 and my feet and legs were completely numb after the first 50). Someone at my pool said any woman over the age of 25 who could do fly was in pretty good shape. Where I swim, it’s pretty unusual and rare to see adults of either gender swimming fly at all.