Video Analysis - Butterfly

Former Member
Former Member
Hi there, any suggestions for improvement on my butterfly would be appreciated! Here's a video of my butterfly from underwater; vimeo.com/259482275 Over the top: vimeo.com/259482131 And lastly a static video starting off with one arm drills, and full stroke beginning around 1:28: vimeo.com/259364445 Thanks in advance for your time,
Parents
  • Arrieros, The most obvious aspect that I would suggest working on is the timing of when you lower your head after taking a breathe. Currently, you are lowering your head (looks like tucking your chin a bit) in advance of when your arms come around on the recovery. Lowering your head too soon will result in slightly less extension at the front of the stroke and cause your upper body to be lower in the water. This will translate into a higher likelihood of dropping your elbows during the first phase of the pull which leads to less power during the main power phase of the pull. This is most evident during the second length of your 50 when you start breathing 1 up-1 down. So, given that explanation, I suggest two things: a) Keep looking forward until your arms are "in front" of your shoulders during the recovery. b) To initiate the pull, think about "pressing" your feet towards the surface (some might call it an upkick). Done properly, this will result in your shoulder/upper body lifting and makes it easier to pull with your elbows in a "high catch" position. The third thing I would focus on involves your turn. Initiate the turn by drawing your knees into your chest instead of trying to get your upper body and hands off the wall faster. It may seem counter-intuitive, but it works. Good Luck. PW
  • Arrieros, The most obvious aspect that I would suggest working on is the timing of when you lower your head after taking a breathe. Currently, you are lowering your head (looks like tucking your chin a bit) in advance of when your arms come around on the recovery. Lowering your head too soon will result in slightly less extension at the front of the stroke and cause your upper body to be lower in the water. This will translate into a higher likelihood of dropping your elbows during the first phase of the pull which leads to less power during the main power phase of the pull. This is most evident during the second length of your 50 when you start breathing 1 up-1 down. So, given that explanation, I suggest two things: a) Keep looking forward until your arms are "in front" of your shoulders during the recovery. b) To initiate the pull, think about "pressing" your feet towards the surface (some might call it an upkick). Done properly, this will result in your shoulder/upper body lifting and makes it easier to pull with your elbows in a "high catch" position. The third thing I would focus on involves your turn. Initiate the turn by drawing your knees into your chest instead of trying to get your upper body and hands off the wall faster. It may seem counter-intuitive, but it works. Good Luck. PW
Children
No Data