Video Analysis- Backstroke

Former Member
Former Member
Hi again, I hope this doesn't annoy anyone but if there's any feedback on my backstroke please feel free to share. This isn't my fast pace; I can sustain this pace for a set of 4X200yds, which is what I was doing although the video is truncated. vimeo.com/250672469 Thanks in advance,
  • the top video if you could reshoot it from a higher angle.. the underwater is actually good video.. work on your kick. keep the legs together.. backstroke needs a fast shallow kick.. and has to be a flutter kick from the hips.. You also don't need that much hip rotation.. the hips with an engaged core should drive the shoulder into the water.. do kicking drills on your back.. either streamlined or arms to the side.. work on shallow fast flutter kicks.. Also your legs are sinking.. can't really see the head position, but it could be head position and core related.. Your pull needs a little work.. you are letting the hand bend a little too soon in the pull.. and letting it flop at the wrist..
  • One other tip.. just random and can't tell from the video.. but don't arch your back with backstroke.. you want a flat back, and you want the upper back pushing down in the water.. do Pelvic Tilts.. look it up on the internet.. do them on the floor in the living room. Very helpful exercise anyway.
  • Yes that would be perfect.. from the lifeguard chair. The pull I have to slow motion a few more times. Your hand flops, that is probably the bigger issue I think. But there is only a few seconds of the video where you can really see the pull.. When you get done.. where in your legs do you feel the workout? calves.. hips.. thighs?
  • I feel the kick in mostly in my quads, and to a lesser extent the hip/groin area. Calves not at all. is the hand flop you see the ‘flourish’ at the end? No I see it earlier than at the end, almost at the midpoint... but I will slow motion it in my video software.. but you have really good form with the arm.. I just think your hand is too relaxed and not getting as much out of it.. I can't really see the entry from the other video.. so hopefully another angle will help.. I think the entry probably needs some tweeking.. so that you get full extension of the arm.. and get a better catch earlier in the stroke. one thing on the kick. kick like you are trying to keep your knees and feet together.. aaron peirsol has a really great video on the kick and rotation.. you should feel it up into the hip.. so that is good.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    the top video if you could reshoot it from a higher angle.. the underwater is actually good video.. work on your kick. keep the legs together.. backstroke needs a fast shallow kick.. and has to be a flutter kick from the hips.. You also don't need that much hip rotation.. the hips with an engaged core should drive the shoulder into the water.. do kicking drills on your back.. either streamlined or arms to the side.. work on shallow fast flutter kicks.. Also your legs are sinking.. can't really see the head position, but it could be head position and core related.. Your pull needs a little work.. you are letting the hand bend a little too soon in the pull.. and letting it flop at the wrist.. i can try to perch the camera on the lifeguard chair and see if that gives a better overhead view... was thinking the same thing about the kick and the over?rotation. Though it feels like a small tight kick when I’m doing it, that’s not what it looks like in the video. Regarding the pull, I try to pull my elbow into my side as soon as possible upon hand entry... is that where you see the hand bend and flop?
  • Former Member
    Yes that would be perfect.. from the lifeguard chair. The pull I have to slow motion a few more times. Your hand flops, that is probably the bigger issue I think. But there is only a few seconds of the video where you can really see the pull.. When you get done.. where in your legs do you feel the workout? calves.. hips.. thighs? I feel the kick in mostly in my quads, and to a lesser extent the hip/groin area. Calves not at all. is the hand flop you see the ‘flourish’ at the end?
  • Former Member
    No I see it earlier than at the end, almost at the midpoint... but I will slow motion it in my video software.. but you have really good form with the arm.. I just think your hand is too relaxed and not getting as much out of it.. I can't really see the entry from the other video.. so hopefully another angle will help.. I think the entry probably needs some tweeking.. so that you get full extension of the arm.. and get a better catch earlier in the stroke. one thing on the kick. kick like you are trying to keep your knees and feet together.. aaron peirsol has a really great video on the kick and rotation.. you should feel it up into the hip.. so that is good. Ok here's 100yds from the top; easy cruising speed. vimeo.com/250985866 Any feedback appreciated! Including on how to take non-shaky videos.
  • Former Member
    A quick observation...which goes along with the previous comment from Paul. The angle of the hand wants to send every ounce of water towards your feet - and ultimately towards the black turn marker at the far end of the pool. Your hand appears to be finishing with a slight orientation towards the pool bottom - and it seems that the umph isn't quite there as your arm has fully extended at the completion of the pull. The finish of the stroke wants to be about six to eight inches away from your hip pocket. Kind of as if you are stuffing money into your jeans. As you rotate towards the entry phase of your stroke, the exit hand should be ready to slice right out of there. (You can see this in the attached screen capture where your hand is finishing slightly buried, and the angle may be possibly directing of water towards towards the bottom rather than your feet.) Aside from the finish, the catch phase is as equally important. Gather water as soon as the hand enters. Don't let your hands and arms just ease through the stroke. Imagine latching onto a rope, and pulling yourself down the lanes. Other than that, stroke mechanics look generally good with a nice level and horizontal body posture - which is great for minimal drag. Keep at it!
  • Arrieros, in looking at your stroke from the underwater view, you have a great backstroke overall. In terms of your pull, the structure of the right arm is great - it's the left arm that needs a bit of work. Your left arm anchors well, but pulls too far away from the body. What you will need to work on is learning to engage the left arm more - copying the structure of the right arm pull. Make sure you get a good reach before you start the catch and take advantage of your kick. The single arm drill focusing on the left arm is the best for developing a good overall pull and finish. This is also a great drill for developing the early vertical forearm (in both backstroke and freestyle - backstroke starts at 1:36). www.youtube.com/watch Additionally, I notice that your left arm is crossing over slightly upon entry. Make sure your hand entry is in line with your shoulder. Also, keep working on the kick - I can see an exaggerated knee bend from your left leg. Good luck and keep swimming!
  • Former Member
    A quick observation...which goes along with the previous comment from Paul. The angle of the hand wants to send every ounce of water towards your feet - and ultimately towards the black turn marker at the far end of the pool. Your hand appears to be finishing with a slight orientation towards the pool bottom - and it seems that the umph isn't quite there as your arm has fully extended at the completion of the pull. The finish of the stroke wants to be about six to eight inches away from your hip pocket. Kind of as if you are stuffing money into your jeans. As you rotate towards the entry phase of your stroke, the exit hand should be ready to slice right out of there. (You can see this in the attached screen capture where your hand is finishing slightly buried, and the angle may be possibly directing of water towards towards the bottom rather than your feet.) Aside from the finish, the catch phase is as equally important. Gather water as soon as the hand enters. Don't let your hands and arms just ease through the stroke. Imagine latching onto a rope, and pulling yourself down the lanes. Other than that, stroke mechanics look generally good with a nice level and horizontal body posture - which is great for minimal drag. Keep at it! I can see it in the screenshot... So the hand should generally follow the line of the body? Yes my arm is still down there when I start rotating to the other side. Isn’t a little tricky to avoid pushing yourself sideways with a more shallow pull? I was experiencing some zigzagging with shallow pulls. Or maybe my hand was too close to my body where it should be approximately 6-8 inches away from the body as it pulls down the side? Thanks!!