Video Analysis- Backstroke

Former Member
Former Member
Hi again, I hope this doesn't annoy anyone but if there's any feedback on my backstroke please feel free to share. This isn't my fast pace; I can sustain this pace for a set of 4X200yds, which is what I was doing although the video is truncated. vimeo.com/250672469 Thanks in advance,
  • arrieros, This is more helpful than the first video. An even better orientation would be from the side and underwater. IMO, your pulling pattern needs some adjustment. It looks like your hand stays very deep throughout the pull and, it is possible you are pushing water mostly towards the bottom. If you look at some Youtube video of Lochte and Welsh, you will see that they get a solid catch at the front of the stroke and the pulling pattern includes the hand getting very close to the surface before finishing in a downward direction. Your hand looks to start deep and get even deeper. The result is little acceleration towards the end of the pull plus making rotation much more difficult. It is quite difficult to verbalize what it should look like, so I usually tell my swimmers to feel like they are grabbing a softball and throwing it side arm towards their feet. You will need someone watching to give you feedback about your arm orientation. I find it helps to let your hips be a little lower in the water (1-2") because it will make it easier to get upper body rotation. You will feel like you are sitting and that is ok to help you change the pulling pattern. Another way to think about the catch on backstroke is that it is exactly like the catch on freestyle - except you rotate 90 degrees from your stomach to your back and your palm faces in a different direction. I think your shimmer is pretty good - could be a bit more amplitude to gain a little more power. Hope this helps and Good Luck. Paul
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    arrieros, This is more helpful than the first video. An even better orientation would be from the side and underwater. IMO, your pulling pattern needs some adjustment. It looks like your hand stays very deep throughout the pull and, it is possible you are pushing water mostly towards the bottom. If you look at some Youtube video of Lochte and Welsh, you will see that they get a solid catch at the front of the stroke and the pulling pattern includes the hand getting very close to the surface before finishing in a downward direction. Your hand looks to start deep and get even deeper. The result is little acceleration towards the end of the pull plus making rotation much more difficult. It is quite difficult to verbalize what it should look like, so I usually tell my swimmers to feel like they are grabbing a softball and throwing it side arm towards their feet. You will need someone watching to give you feedback about your arm orientation. I find it helps to let your hips be a little lower in the water (1-2") because it will make it easier to get upper body rotation. You will feel like you are sitting and that is ok to help you change the pulling pattern. Another way to think about the catch on backstroke is that it is exactly like the catch on freestyle - except you rotate 90 degrees from your stomach to your back and your palm faces in a different direction. I think your shimmer is pretty good - could be a bit more amplitude to gain a little more power. Hope this helps and Good Luck. Paul Yes it does, thank you.
  • Noticed in the videos you have a potentially propulsive kick
  • That was a great observation - I will definitely work on all these things. Thanks Julia :) The Race Club has good videos and you can follow them ... run by 3 time Olympian Gary Hall theraceclub.com/.../
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Arrieros, in looking at your stroke from the underwater view, you have a great backstroke overall. In terms of your pull, the structure of the right arm is great - it's the left arm that needs a bit of work. Your left arm anchors well, but pulls too far away from the body. What you will need to work on is learning to engage the left arm more - copying the structure of the right arm pull. Make sure you get a good reach before you start the catch and take advantage of your kick. The single arm drill focusing on the left arm is the best for developing a good overall pull and finish. This is also a great drill for developing the early vertical forearm (in both backstroke and freestyle - backstroke starts at 1:36). www.youtube.com/watch Additionally, I notice that your left arm is crossing over slightly upon entry. Make sure your hand entry is in line with your shoulder. Also, keep working on the kick - I can see an exaggerated knee bend from your left leg. Good luck and keep swimming! That was a great observation - I will definitely work on all these things. Thanks Julia :)