Snorkel use

Our coach doesn't give specific times or workouts to use the snorkel. I love mine but I'm not sure when it's the best time to use it? I have been using it at the end in the pull sets but can it be effectively used in main cardio focused sets?
  • Snorkels work best in a threesome...of you, the snorkel, and a nose clip. Also works best if you have a snorkel with a purge valve, much better than the old style ones with no purge valve. i started with a nose clip but when we swam long course this summer decided to skip the nose clip and gradually adapted to using it without the nose clip. I have also worked on going over over straight with seems to help with keeping the snorkel on my head.
  • Has anyone used a snorkel brand other than Finis? My Finis snorkel has given me years of great service, but at this point the headband is quite worn out and uncomfortable on my forehead. I know Speedo also makes one and there's an "MP" (Michael Phelps) branded one sold by Aqua Sphere. P.S. I've never needed a nose clip while using my snorkel, but it sounds like plenty of people do. Probably depends on whether you can naturally breathe solely through your mouth or not.
  • Has anyone used a snorkel brand other than Finis? My Finis snorkel has given me years of great service, but at this point the headband is quite worn out and uncomfortable on my forehead. I know Speedo also makes one and there's an "MP" (Michael Phelps) branded one sold by Aqua Sphere. P.S. I've never needed a nose clip while using my snorkel, but it sounds like plenty of people do. Probably depends on whether you can naturally breathe solely through your mouth or not. I use the Speedo Hydralign snorkel, no problems at all with it, although it's pretty bulky. I like it quite a bit, much better than the one I used back in my age group days that didn't have a purge valve. The nose clip only comes in handy on flipturns for me. When I swim without a snorkel, I blow all my air out through my nose during the turn and underwater. Can't do that with a snorkel, since if I do that, I don't have enough air left to clear the tube. Once I'm on the surface, no problems just being a mouth breather :D
  • I need a nose clip with a snorkel, but can't find one that fits or stays on -- I have a normal sized nose but all the nose clips I tried were too big. Or I was putting them on wrong. Am I missing something? Can anyone recommend particular nose clips? I had that problem when I first started using a clip. Finally ended up with the TYR Ergo. Only issue is that I need to make sure my nose isn't oily or sweaty when I put it on, otherwise it'll slide off. Just rub my nose a few times before putting it on and it's good to go.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    the headband is quite worn out and uncomfortable on my forehead. Why you just don't buy the replacement head-strap for your snorkel? It will surely be cheaper solution rather than buying a new snorkel. Can't say anything about MP snorkels, but imho Speedo is surely not a brightest good idea in terms of quality of materials used (design and fitting is okay, but that's it...). Two fellows had Speedo snorkels (one's headband torn away within 7-8 months of occasional use, and the other guy had problems with sealing in the bottom). Of course I know also guys who use Speedo snorkels for much longer time and these could be just a defective batch, however based on my observations on all type of products of Speedo in the last few years, they mostly rely on their old glory, instead of pursuing quality and even less known brand like Finis produce products with much better quality.
  • Ashswims, try looking for one that has a vent at the bottom. It helps drain some of the residual water out of it after you've blown out the majority of it in a turn or whatever.
  • Thanks for the tip. I had no idea replacement head brackets were sold for the Finis snorkels, but apparently they are: www.finisinc.com/Replacement-Head-Bracket They're even available on Amazon Prime! This past summer I wore a bungee cord on my finis snorkel and actually found the skinny little bungee cord worked great. My wife bought me a new snorkel when she spotted black mold growing inside the snorkel, so I am back to the finis strap. I probably should put my snorkel in some disinfectant every once in a while I guess.
  • black mold growing inside the snorkel Mine was teeming with visible black mold for years...I think it may be good for you.:)
  • Thanks for the tip. I had no idea replacement head brackets were sold for the Finis snorkels, but apparently they are: www.finisinc.com/Replacement-Head-Bracket They're even available on Amazon Prime!
  • Mine was teeming with visible black mold for years...I think it may be good for you.:)And allowed you to build up an immunity to whatever it is that grows in Tempe Town Lake.