Snorkel use

Our coach doesn't give specific times or workouts to use the snorkel. I love mine but I'm not sure when it's the best time to use it? I have been using it at the end in the pull sets but can it be effectively used in main cardio focused sets?
  • I use mine at all speeds, although I tend to use it more during warmup and aerobic sets than anaerobic sets. In the long run, it doesn't impact access to oxygen, but it takes me longer to get the equivalent amount of air as a non-snorkel breath. When I swim with the snorkel, I try to maintain the same breathing pattern as I would without the snorkel, so in effect it cuts down on the amount of oxygen I can get in. I have problems pushing off the wall at speed with the snorkel in flipturns--I'm one of those folks who has a now-illegal medley freestyle flipturn, and the amount of rotation I do off a flipturn, especially when I'm doing it at speed, results in a wobbly snorkel. Sometimes one of my hands will get caught on the snorkel if I'm getting sloppy on my turns, which has resulted in it either being ripped away entirely (and bringing that part of the set to an abrupt end), or being pushed so far to one side that I have to readjust.
  • I tend to use my snorkel at any point of the practice when I'm doing free, depending on what I want to work on. If I use it during warmup, I focus on body position at slower speeds During aerobic sets, I focus on maintaining body position During anaerobic sets, I just focus on trying to get enough air :D I usually use the snorkel once or twice a practice, depending on what I want to focus on. Besides body position, I think it's a great tool for working on breath control, no matter what pace you're swimming at.
  • I think the snorkel is the most flexible swim tool I own. I use it for different things at different times during my workout. I always use it during my warmup to avoid neck turning until I am warmed up. I then use it based on the focus of a specific set for streamline kick, drill focus on hand entry to remove breathing, aerobic sets(I own the cardio cap and add it to add even more of a cardio challenge), sprinting where I want to focus on tempo and remove breathing without going into oxygen debt. The only thing I don't do is mix my snorkel with other equipment. I have tried it with paddles but find my turns are a challenge. It's almost like there is too much going on. I love my snorkel! Agreed
  • I think the snorkel is the most flexible swim tool I own. I use it for different things at different times during my workout. I always use it during my warmup to avoid neck turning until I am warmed up. I then use it based on the focus of a specific set for streamline kick, drill focus on hand entry to remove breathing, aerobic sets(I own the cardio cap and add it to add even more of a cardio challenge), sprinting where I want to focus on tempo and remove breathing without going into oxygen debt. The only thing I don't do is mix my snorkel with other equipment. I have tried it with paddles but find my turns are a challenge. It's almost like there is too much going on. I love my snorkel!
  • I love my snorkel!Me, too ... but The only thing I don't do is mix my snorkel with other equipment. ... I think the the menage a quatre of me, a snorkel, agility paddles and a buoy is transcendent. If only I could figure out a way to get my monofin into the act ...
  • I think the the menage a quatre of me, a snorkel, agility paddles and a buoy is transcendent. "Usually you pay double for that kind of action, Cotton." www.hark.com/.../gpqzllbvlh-menage-a-trios
  • I think the the menage a quatre of me, a snorkel, agility paddles and a buoy is transcendent ... It's the heartwarming story of a boy and his buoy ...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I've never used a snorkel before but I've recently took up swimming and my coach recommended to me that I buy one. Does anyone have any recommendations of what one to get? The cheapest I've found is a "Mad Wave" one - www.proswimwear.co.uk/mad-wave-pro-snorkel.html It has good reviews but I've never heard of Mad Wave. All of the Snorkels look the same so I am right to assume it doesn't matter which one I pick?
  • I love my snorkel!I've tried to love my snorkel. I really have but my snorkel doesn't love me back. in fact she tries to drown me. I think she prefers to stay in my mesh swim bag and just be used for show. for example, whenever I wear my snorkel, I get this overwhelming need to inhale through my nose. I can feel water pressing up my nostrils. no matter how hard I blow out my nose, the water pressure always returns. Second, on the flip, forget about it. it shifts to the side, flops off my head. doesn't clear. my snorkel does not love me at all.
  • I've tried to love my snorkel. I really have but my snorkel doesn't love me back. in fact she tries to drown me. I think she prefers to stay in my mesh swim bag and just be used for show. for example, whenever I wear my snorkel, I get this overwhelming need to inhale through my nose. I can feel water pressing up my nostrils. no matter how hard I blow out my nose, the water pressure always returns. Second, on the flip, forget about it. it shifts to the side, flops off my head. doesn't clear. my snorkel does not love me at all. Snorkels work best in a threesome...of you, the snorkel, and a nose clip. Also works best if you have a snorkel with a purge valve, much better than the old style ones with no purge valve.