Escape from Alcatraz

Former Member
Former Member
Has anyone here ever done this swim? It looks pretty intimidating for a mainly pool swimmer like me but I'm intrigued by it and it would give me a chance to visit relatives in the Bay area. => Is it pretty much for elite swimmers and tri-athletes? => Do they have regularly scheduled events just for swimmers? => What kind of conditioning shape should one be in to reasonably attempt it? => What kind of training would you recommend? Thanks. AJD
  • => Do they have regularly scheduled events just for swimmers? Pretty sure this is only a non-swimmer event. Keeps it more interesting!
  • I have not done it. But, have read numerous threads and spoken to those who have. Biggest issue is managing the cold water. Lots written about 2-3 caps and temp changes over the course of the swim. Second, is that the course is different every time due to currents and perhaps boat drop off location. A lot of local knowledge and good sighting skills makes for a more enjoyable swim. Most people who take triathlon seriously (not necessary podium finishers) have it on their bucket list. I have done this 3 times, and I highly recommend it. All swimmers have to do this at some point. Most are not elite. But, you should be able to comfortably swim 1.5-2 miles in the pool with a least a 40 min/mile pace at the very minimum. Then, get as much time in open water as you can. Cold, chop, currents, sighting, fears, emotions, breathing, wetsuit use or not...Read as much as you can, and talk to anyone who knows anything. If you can get to the Bay Area sometime, the Aquatic Park is a great place to train and familiarize yourself with the "terrain." This will be the adventure of a lifetime with bragging rights forever!
  • Has anyone here ever done this swim? It looks pretty intimidating for a mainly pool swimmer like me but I'm intrigued by it and it would give me a chance to visit relatives in the Bay area. => Is it pretty much for elite swimmers and tri-athletes? I internet-know several people who have done it. Most entrants are triathletes. Most are not elites. There are quite a lot of relay teans each year, so if you want to just swim, that's more than OK. => What kind of conditioning shape should one be in to reasonably attempt it? => What kind of training would you recommend? If you possibly can, do some open water training before the event. Sighting in open water, drafting, dealing with chop or athletes swimming over you - they're specific skills. Some people are much better pool swimmers than open water swimmers, and vice versa.
  • I have not done it. But, have read numerous threads and spoken to those who have. Biggest issue is managing the cold water. Lots written about 2-3 caps and temp changes over the course of the swim. Second, is that the course is different every time due to currents and perhaps boat drop off location. A lot of local knowledge and good sighting skills makes for a more enjoyable swim. Most people who take triathlon seriously (not necessary podium finishers) have it on their bucket list.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    Has anyone here ever done this swim? It looks pretty intimidating for a mainly pool swimmer like me but I'm intrigued by it and it would give me a chance to visit relatives in the Bay area. => Is it pretty much for elite swimmers and tri-athletes? => Do they have regularly scheduled events just for swimmers? => What kind of conditioning shape should one be in to reasonably attempt it? => What kind of training would you recommend? Thanks. AJD I was going to do this swim and read up on it. Sharks freak me out - that's why i live in Indiana - almost as far away from them as possible. I've never heard of or read about a shark attack during this swim but the possibility is still out there. People say great white sharks don't venture into the harbor past the golden gate bridge. Well i started doing research to see if this was true and came upon a site where they tag great whites and release them for tracking. MOST of them didn't go past the golden gate, but a few sure did. that was enough for me not to do it. however - some helpful hints below: => What kind of conditioning shape should one be in to reasonably attempt it? do a 2.5k or a 5k open water swim in flat water - ideally a lake. if you have any difficulty with that swim, then i wouldn't attempt this one until the flat water can be accomplished with ease => What kind of training would you recommend? -best training i came up with was going to a water park and swimming across a wave pool non stop until the guards called break - usually 30-45 min. -if you have never done an open water swim where the water is below 70 degrees, you MUST try this first. its quite a shock jumping into 59 degree water when you train in 80 degree water, even with a wetsuit. -swim 1000's picking your head up out of the water every 5-7 strokes - this really wears you out - while swimming 1000's don't touch the wall. you can do a flip, but continue swimming without touching the wall.
  • Former Member
    I have done this 3 times, and I highly recommend it. All swimmers have to do this at some point. Most are not elite. But, you should be able to comfortably swim 1.5-2 miles in the pool with a least a 40 min/mile pace at the very minimum. Then, get as much time in open water as you can. Cold, chop, currents, sighting, fears, emotions, breathing, wetsuit use or not...Read as much as you can, and talk to anyone who knows anything. If you can get to the Bay Area sometime, the Aquatic Park is a great place to train and familiarize yourself with the "terrain." This will be the adventure of a lifetime with bragging rights forever! It was kind of funny, but of all the races I have ever done, I found sighting least valuable with Alcatraz. You cannot pick a spot to swim to, the current is simply going to pull you too far south. Basically you try and swim straight across and let the current do the work. My sighting consisted of "can I see other people around me." Oh and take a look at the golden gate bridge a couple of times. Not many get that vantage point in their life. THe cold, man, it just sucks. People spend hundres of hours traing, pay alot of money to sign up for the race, travel to SF, get up at 3:30 AM to get on the boat but then stop swimming first 20 meters because it is too cold. It takes 2-3 minutes for your wetsuit to fill up with cold water, and another 3-4 for your body to heat up the trapped water. So after maybe 5-10 minutes everything will feel just fine. Well, your face will be cold and you won't be able to control your facial muscles, but what does that matter!
  • I have never done the Escape from Alcatraz Tri but have done the Alcatraz Swim twice. The first time I started swimming at the Aquatic Park in SF on July 16th 3 times a week and swam the Alcatraz Swim on August 7th. The water temp that year was 61 degrees and I swam without a wetsuit. I have been a pool swimmer my entire life and swore I would NEVER venture into the San Francisco Bay but now I'm hooked. I only swim a mile a day in the pool and 3 times a week go over to SF to swim for 40-50 minutes in the cold water. I did start wearing a wetsuit this winter when the water temp dipped below 50 degrees. The Escape From Alcatraz this year is the first weekend in March so the water temp will probably be around 50 degrees. I have also done the Golden Gate Bridge Swim twice and will do it again this year. Wetsuits take some getting used to as well. They are more bouyant and it affects your kick and your stroke.
  • I have also done the Alcatraz Swim twice. I live in Texas, but was born in San Francisco, so this was a bucket list for me the first time and I went with a friend the second time. To prepare, I did some open water swims in a nearby lake and took cold showers as the race got closer. During one swim practice in a pool, my team mates lines up on either side of me with kick boards and made the water very rough for me as I passed by. I wore a wetsuit because I just couldn't see going from 80 degree water to low 60 degree water. When I got to SF, I did a practice swim in my wetsuit in the Aquatic Park and then when the big day came, I jumped from the boat into the water and started swimming. It was a little cold at first, but the adrenaline kept me warm. Both times, the currents gave me the most trouble and kayaks had to let me know i was off course, but I loved the swims and swimming in the SF Bay. I wil do it again, just need to work it into my other travel.
  • Former Member
    This guy has done it 870 times and written books about both open water swimming and Alcatraz. One of his books might be a good starting point. openwaterpedia.com/index.php www.lanelinestoshorelines.com/
  • Gary Emich book is the best information you can obtain pertains to swimming from Alcatraz. I have made the swim 10 times. My last one October 2013. I am 76 years old and a slow swimmer, but I swim 4 days a week in the Ocean in Southern California. San francisco is about 5 degrees colder than my SoCal location, the water temperature is not that bad if you wear a wet suit. I swim without a wet suit in 60F water for about 45 minuets each session. The body acclimates, so get into doing some cold water swimming. It is invigorating !!