Escape from Alcatraz

Former Member
Former Member
Has anyone here ever done this swim? It looks pretty intimidating for a mainly pool swimmer like me but I'm intrigued by it and it would give me a chance to visit relatives in the Bay area. => Is it pretty much for elite swimmers and tri-athletes? => Do they have regularly scheduled events just for swimmers? => What kind of conditioning shape should one be in to reasonably attempt it? => What kind of training would you recommend? Thanks. AJD
Parents
  • I have never done the Escape from Alcatraz Tri but have done the Alcatraz Swim twice. The first time I started swimming at the Aquatic Park in SF on July 16th 3 times a week and swam the Alcatraz Swim on August 7th. The water temp that year was 61 degrees and I swam without a wetsuit. I have been a pool swimmer my entire life and swore I would NEVER venture into the San Francisco Bay but now I'm hooked. I only swim a mile a day in the pool and 3 times a week go over to SF to swim for 40-50 minutes in the cold water. I did start wearing a wetsuit this winter when the water temp dipped below 50 degrees. The Escape From Alcatraz this year is the first weekend in March so the water temp will probably be around 50 degrees. I have also done the Golden Gate Bridge Swim twice and will do it again this year. Wetsuits take some getting used to as well. They are more bouyant and it affects your kick and your stroke.
  • I have never done the Escape from Alcatraz Tri but have done the Alcatraz Swim twice. The first time I started swimming at the Aquatic Park in SF on July 16th 3 times a week and swam the Alcatraz Swim on August 7th. The water temp that year was 61 degrees and I swam without a wetsuit. I have been a pool swimmer my entire life and swore I would NEVER venture into the San Francisco Bay but now I'm hooked. I only swim a mile a day in the pool and 3 times a week go over to SF to swim for 40-50 minutes in the cold water. I did start wearing a wetsuit this winter when the water temp dipped below 50 degrees. The Escape From Alcatraz this year is the first weekend in March so the water temp will probably be around 50 degrees. I have also done the Golden Gate Bridge Swim twice and will do it again this year. Wetsuits take some getting used to as well. They are more bouyant and it affects your kick and your stroke.
Children
No Data