Escape from Alcatraz

Former Member
Former Member
Has anyone here ever done this swim? It looks pretty intimidating for a mainly pool swimmer like me but I'm intrigued by it and it would give me a chance to visit relatives in the Bay area. => Is it pretty much for elite swimmers and tri-athletes? => Do they have regularly scheduled events just for swimmers? => What kind of conditioning shape should one be in to reasonably attempt it? => What kind of training would you recommend? Thanks. AJD
Parents
  • I have not done it. But, have read numerous threads and spoken to those who have. Biggest issue is managing the cold water. Lots written about 2-3 caps and temp changes over the course of the swim. Second, is that the course is different every time due to currents and perhaps boat drop off location. A lot of local knowledge and good sighting skills makes for a more enjoyable swim. Most people who take triathlon seriously (not necessary podium finishers) have it on their bucket list.
  • I have not done it. But, have read numerous threads and spoken to those who have. Biggest issue is managing the cold water. Lots written about 2-3 caps and temp changes over the course of the swim. Second, is that the course is different every time due to currents and perhaps boat drop off location. A lot of local knowledge and good sighting skills makes for a more enjoyable swim. Most people who take triathlon seriously (not necessary podium finishers) have it on their bucket list.
Children
No Data