Escape from Alcatraz

Former Member
Former Member
Has anyone here ever done this swim? It looks pretty intimidating for a mainly pool swimmer like me but I'm intrigued by it and it would give me a chance to visit relatives in the Bay area. => Is it pretty much for elite swimmers and tri-athletes? => Do they have regularly scheduled events just for swimmers? => What kind of conditioning shape should one be in to reasonably attempt it? => What kind of training would you recommend? Thanks. AJD
Parents
  • I have also done the Alcatraz Swim twice. I live in Texas, but was born in San Francisco, so this was a bucket list for me the first time and I went with a friend the second time. To prepare, I did some open water swims in a nearby lake and took cold showers as the race got closer. During one swim practice in a pool, my team mates lines up on either side of me with kick boards and made the water very rough for me as I passed by. I wore a wetsuit because I just couldn't see going from 80 degree water to low 60 degree water. When I got to SF, I did a practice swim in my wetsuit in the Aquatic Park and then when the big day came, I jumped from the boat into the water and started swimming. It was a little cold at first, but the adrenaline kept me warm. Both times, the currents gave me the most trouble and kayaks had to let me know i was off course, but I loved the swims and swimming in the SF Bay. I wil do it again, just need to work it into my other travel.
  • I have also done the Alcatraz Swim twice. I live in Texas, but was born in San Francisco, so this was a bucket list for me the first time and I went with a friend the second time. To prepare, I did some open water swims in a nearby lake and took cold showers as the race got closer. During one swim practice in a pool, my team mates lines up on either side of me with kick boards and made the water very rough for me as I passed by. I wore a wetsuit because I just couldn't see going from 80 degree water to low 60 degree water. When I got to SF, I did a practice swim in my wetsuit in the Aquatic Park and then when the big day came, I jumped from the boat into the water and started swimming. It was a little cold at first, but the adrenaline kept me warm. Both times, the currents gave me the most trouble and kayaks had to let me know i was off course, but I loved the swims and swimming in the SF Bay. I wil do it again, just need to work it into my other travel.
Children
No Data