Escape from Alcatraz

Former Member
Former Member
Has anyone here ever done this swim? It looks pretty intimidating for a mainly pool swimmer like me but I'm intrigued by it and it would give me a chance to visit relatives in the Bay area. => Is it pretty much for elite swimmers and tri-athletes? => Do they have regularly scheduled events just for swimmers? => What kind of conditioning shape should one be in to reasonably attempt it? => What kind of training would you recommend? Thanks. AJD
Parents
  • I have not done it. But, have read numerous threads and spoken to those who have. Biggest issue is managing the cold water. Lots written about 2-3 caps and temp changes over the course of the swim. Second, is that the course is different every time due to currents and perhaps boat drop off location. A lot of local knowledge and good sighting skills makes for a more enjoyable swim. Most people who take triathlon seriously (not necessary podium finishers) have it on their bucket list. I have done this 3 times, and I highly recommend it. All swimmers have to do this at some point. Most are not elite. But, you should be able to comfortably swim 1.5-2 miles in the pool with a least a 40 min/mile pace at the very minimum. Then, get as much time in open water as you can. Cold, chop, currents, sighting, fears, emotions, breathing, wetsuit use or not...Read as much as you can, and talk to anyone who knows anything. If you can get to the Bay Area sometime, the Aquatic Park is a great place to train and familiarize yourself with the "terrain." This will be the adventure of a lifetime with bragging rights forever!
  • I have not done it. But, have read numerous threads and spoken to those who have. Biggest issue is managing the cold water. Lots written about 2-3 caps and temp changes over the course of the swim. Second, is that the course is different every time due to currents and perhaps boat drop off location. A lot of local knowledge and good sighting skills makes for a more enjoyable swim. Most people who take triathlon seriously (not necessary podium finishers) have it on their bucket list. I have done this 3 times, and I highly recommend it. All swimmers have to do this at some point. Most are not elite. But, you should be able to comfortably swim 1.5-2 miles in the pool with a least a 40 min/mile pace at the very minimum. Then, get as much time in open water as you can. Cold, chop, currents, sighting, fears, emotions, breathing, wetsuit use or not...Read as much as you can, and talk to anyone who knows anything. If you can get to the Bay Area sometime, the Aquatic Park is a great place to train and familiarize yourself with the "terrain." This will be the adventure of a lifetime with bragging rights forever!
Children
No Data