Escape from Alcatraz

Former Member
Former Member
Has anyone here ever done this swim? It looks pretty intimidating for a mainly pool swimmer like me but I'm intrigued by it and it would give me a chance to visit relatives in the Bay area. => Is it pretty much for elite swimmers and tri-athletes? => Do they have regularly scheduled events just for swimmers? => What kind of conditioning shape should one be in to reasonably attempt it? => What kind of training would you recommend? Thanks. AJD
Parents
  • Gary Emich book is the best information you can obtain pertains to swimming from Alcatraz. I have made the swim 10 times. My last one October 2013. I am 76 years old and a slow swimmer, but I swim 4 days a week in the Ocean in Southern California. San francisco is about 5 degrees colder than my SoCal location, the water temperature is not that bad if you wear a wet suit. I swim without a wet suit in 60F water for about 45 minuets each session. The body acclimates, so get into doing some cold water swimming. It is invigorating !!
  • Gary Emich book is the best information you can obtain pertains to swimming from Alcatraz. I have made the swim 10 times. My last one October 2013. I am 76 years old and a slow swimmer, but I swim 4 days a week in the Ocean in Southern California. San francisco is about 5 degrees colder than my SoCal location, the water temperature is not that bad if you wear a wet suit. I swim without a wet suit in 60F water for about 45 minuets each session. The body acclimates, so get into doing some cold water swimming. It is invigorating !!
Children
No Data