Escape from Alcatraz

Former Member
Former Member
Has anyone here ever done this swim? It looks pretty intimidating for a mainly pool swimmer like me but I'm intrigued by it and it would give me a chance to visit relatives in the Bay area. => Is it pretty much for elite swimmers and tri-athletes? => Do they have regularly scheduled events just for swimmers? => What kind of conditioning shape should one be in to reasonably attempt it? => What kind of training would you recommend? Thanks. AJD
Parents
  • Has anyone here ever done this swim? It looks pretty intimidating for a mainly pool swimmer like me but I'm intrigued by it and it would give me a chance to visit relatives in the Bay area. => Is it pretty much for elite swimmers and tri-athletes? I internet-know several people who have done it. Most entrants are triathletes. Most are not elites. There are quite a lot of relay teans each year, so if you want to just swim, that's more than OK. => What kind of conditioning shape should one be in to reasonably attempt it? => What kind of training would you recommend? If you possibly can, do some open water training before the event. Sighting in open water, drafting, dealing with chop or athletes swimming over you - they're specific skills. Some people are much better pool swimmers than open water swimmers, and vice versa.
  • Has anyone here ever done this swim? It looks pretty intimidating for a mainly pool swimmer like me but I'm intrigued by it and it would give me a chance to visit relatives in the Bay area. => Is it pretty much for elite swimmers and tri-athletes? I internet-know several people who have done it. Most entrants are triathletes. Most are not elites. There are quite a lot of relay teans each year, so if you want to just swim, that's more than OK. => What kind of conditioning shape should one be in to reasonably attempt it? => What kind of training would you recommend? If you possibly can, do some open water training before the event. Sighting in open water, drafting, dealing with chop or athletes swimming over you - they're specific skills. Some people are much better pool swimmers than open water swimmers, and vice versa.
Children
No Data