Nationals and Coronavirus.

Austin just canceled SXSW. Is it safe to think Nationals will go on as planned. Is it safe to do so. I really want to go to Nationals, but I am 71 and concerned.
  • This is a good question with broader implications too. On the one hand, swimming is a water sport and water is where the virus survives. On the other hand chlorine is very effective at killing it. Because of my age (70), I've been wondering whether and how long to keep going to the pool? I'm an environmental engineer, and have been trying to read what my professional associations are saying about corona survival in water/wastewater prior to and after disinfection and in drinking water (drinking water is used to fill up the pool). I saw an article yesterday about virus survival in wastewater in a Water Environment Federation (WEF) newsletter, but i was only able to read the first paragraph, cause it was linked to another publication that I couldn't access. I'll check back with WEF and also see what the American Water Works Association (AWWA) is saying too. Drinking water is almost always disinfected at the water source before distribution and of course pools add additional disinfection. Intuitively, swimming and immersing in water with chlorine seems like a good thing. So, I'll see what i can find out. Its a new virus and there may not be testing results available on survival rates in the drinking water/wastewater environment yet. My gut is that without disinfectants present in the water, its a big problem, as would be the case with many other waterborne pathogens. Somewhat similarly, different types of disinfection may be more effective in killing it. The maintenance of residual levels of disinfectant in a water distribution system and pool are essential. This obviously doesn't address the consequences of hob-nobbing on a pool deck and locker room with many other swimmers
  • Check the Forum regarding coronavirus and Spring Nationals in San Antonio. Comments are from Meet Director as well as Rob Copeland - dated March 6 & 7. It appears a statement will be forthcoming regarding this issue.
  • I say we not add to the hysteria (too late?) and go ahead with nationals. It's not like we are talking about Ebola virus with 90% mortality. SXSW participants are overwhelming hygienically challenged and USMS participants are, at the very least, forced to be clean.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    It's hard to imagine a virus surviving more than few seconds in a chlorinated pool. I'm guessing events are cancled becasue of groups of people. Shaking hands, maybe even. As near as I can see, the virus is spreading fast enough that virtually everyone will be exposed to it in the next few months, so I don't think it will be an issue for very long. (Maybe a BIG issue, just not all that long).
  • Former Member
    This is such an important topic. I'm surprised it wasn't posted sooner. I've been concerned, as I'm 69 and have had pneumonia. I also witness spitting in our pool and people who don't shower before getting in. I asked the instructor today why the pool was so "quiet". Most unusual on a Saturday. Yes, parents are cancelling swim lessons and swim team practice due to concerns over COVID. OTOH, I also workout in the gym 3x a week. I feel safer in the pool than on the machines and weights that are crammed together. I use the wipes, but there are many who cough and sneeze and sweat and don't follow proper hygiene.
  • SXSW participants are overwhelming hygienically challenged and USMS participants are, at the very least, forced to be clean.In Dr. Dickson (and chlorine), I trust! :applaud: Also, watching/reading SwimSwam, I see all the college conference championships continuing to go, no talk of NCAAs being cancelled. Maybe we can do what they're talking about with the NCAA basketball tournament ... no fans allowed! But, since there are never any fans for a Masters meet anyhow, the show must go on.
  • I am not particularly concerned about exposure once I am at the meet. That is something I have control over to some extent. My issue is being at the airport and being confined in the plane for 2 1/2 hours with someone beside me or behind me on the plane that may be sick. And that would not bother me either except that my wife (who will not be going to the meet) has a compromised immune system. I don't want to get her sick upon my return!
  • Gotta agree with Glenn here. The travel is quite possibly a more significant risk.
  • Former Member
    Following with interest. I definitely fall in the camp of not adding to hysteria but have concerns about our swimmers who are more at risk for health or age factors. If the meet does indeed continue as planned, I imagine those at high risk will have to make their own choice/discuss with their docs and support good hygiene with lots of signage reminding hand washing, close water quality monitoring, etc... I am curious to see what the statement will be and will support usms in whichever direction they go. Would be super sad to miss the event but would be devastating to have very sick athletes.
  • Austin just canceled SXSW. Is it safe to think Nationals will go on as planned. Is it safe to do so. I really want to go to Nationals, but I am 71 and concerned. Last year, 417,000 people from all over the world attended SXSW. That is a HUGE number. How many attend nationals, 1,500? So 1/30th the number of SXSW, and primarily from the US? I don't think it is a fair benchmark, personally.