Nationals and Coronavirus.

Austin just canceled SXSW. Is it safe to think Nationals will go on as planned. Is it safe to do so. I really want to go to Nationals, but I am 71 and concerned.
Parents
  • This is a good question with broader implications too. On the one hand, swimming is a water sport and water is where the virus survives. On the other hand chlorine is very effective at killing it. Because of my age (70), I've been wondering whether and how long to keep going to the pool? I'm an environmental engineer, and have been trying to read what my professional associations are saying about corona survival in water/wastewater prior to and after disinfection and in drinking water (drinking water is used to fill up the pool). I saw an article yesterday about virus survival in wastewater in a Water Environment Federation (WEF) newsletter, but i was only able to read the first paragraph, cause it was linked to another publication that I couldn't access. I'll check back with WEF and also see what the American Water Works Association (AWWA) is saying too. Drinking water is almost always disinfected at the water source before distribution and of course pools add additional disinfection. Intuitively, swimming and immersing in water with chlorine seems like a good thing. So, I'll see what i can find out. Its a new virus and there may not be testing results available on survival rates in the drinking water/wastewater environment yet. My gut is that without disinfectants present in the water, its a big problem, as would be the case with many other waterborne pathogens. Somewhat similarly, different types of disinfection may be more effective in killing it. The maintenance of residual levels of disinfectant in a water distribution system and pool are essential. This obviously doesn't address the consequences of hob-nobbing on a pool deck and locker room with many other swimmers
  • This is a good question with broader implications too. On the one hand, swimming is a water sport and water is where the virus survives. On the other hand chlorine is very effective at killing it. Because of my age (70), I've been wondering whether and how long to keep going to the pool? I'm an environmental engineer, and have been trying to read what my professional associations are saying about corona survival in water/wastewater prior to and after disinfection and in drinking water (drinking water is used to fill up the pool). I saw an article yesterday about virus survival in wastewater in a Water Environment Federation (WEF) newsletter, but i was only able to read the first paragraph, cause it was linked to another publication that I couldn't access. I'll check back with WEF and also see what the American Water Works Association (AWWA) is saying too. Drinking water is almost always disinfected at the water source before distribution and of course pools add additional disinfection. Intuitively, swimming and immersing in water with chlorine seems like a good thing. So, I'll see what i can find out. Its a new virus and there may not be testing results available on survival rates in the drinking water/wastewater environment yet. My gut is that without disinfectants present in the water, its a big problem, as would be the case with many other waterborne pathogens. Somewhat similarly, different types of disinfection may be more effective in killing it. The maintenance of residual levels of disinfectant in a water distribution system and pool are essential. This obviously doesn't address the consequences of hob-nobbing on a pool deck and locker room with many other swimmers
Children
No Data