Big Shoulders swim in Chicago

Many on our team - Elgin Blue Wave - are in this race. Hope for good weather and mild water temps for all!
  • Most people probably believe that since the time that registration opens is made public well before it opens, that everyone has equal opportunity to register so it is as "fair" of a system as they can provide. In the case where a race is popular and I expect it to sell out, I make sure I am online when the registration opens so that I can be sure to get in. But it is unfortunate, perhaps even unfair, for those who are unable or unavailable to register right when registration opens. Any suggestions as to how to improve this? I don't think that it was unfair but it did fill ridiculously quick. I was initially critical in private of the Del Valle festival as they seemed to keep letting people in over the number they announced. They did a great job. Not sure how the numbers compare, but theoretically, there should be a fairly high limit with a moderately large loop and entrants divided into multiple waves.
  • Really bummed about the cancellation. Same. Did you get into the lake and swim? Water felt great! I didn't really swim that far, but saw lots of people swimming a good portion of the course. I think if the swim had gone the people out of the water would have suffered far worse than those swimming. I'm glad they didn't reschedule for today since my flight left Chicago at 9:00 this morning. I would have been SOL. I know the official line is "no refunds" but I hope they at least consider giving those who were entered this year a discount on next year's swim. Obviously lots of the entry money is already spent, but not all. I'm sure they pay a lot to the CPD for the lifeguards and since the race didn't go it would seem like a good portion of that money should be coming back. Although given that it's Chicago, perhaps I'm wrong about that!
  • Same. Did you get into the lake and swim? Water felt great! I didn't really swim that far, but saw lots of people swimming a good portion of the course. I think if the swim had gone the people out of the water would have suffered far worse than those swimming. I walked over to Ohio Street Beach Sunday morning, but didn't get in. There were people swimming Sunday AM too. I should have at least gotten in. It looked idyllic! But I was on a walk with my father, who had driven up from St. Louis to support me, so I didn't even bring my suit on the walk. Glad that you got a swim in! I'm glad they didn't reschedule for today since my flight left Chicago at 9:00 this morning. I would have been SOL. The weather was absolutely perfect. Sunny skies, fairly warm and very calm. If they had rescheduled I wonder how many people would have been able to make it? I'm guessing the majority. Since my plane didn't leave until 3pm, I could have done it. Really wish they would have bumped it to Sunday! I know the official line is "no refunds" but I hope they at least consider giving those who were entered this year a discount on next year's swim. Obviously lots of the entry money is already spent, but not all. I'm sure they pay a lot to the CPD for the lifeguards and since the race didn't go it would seem like a good portion of that money should be coming back. Although given that it's Chicago, perhaps I'm wrong about that! All good thoughts. I've had this swim on my list since I found out about it ~4 years ago. I thought "this is they year!" when I saw it was a national championship, so I saved up and made it happen. Then it gets canceled :sad: If there were some sort of entry discount offered for next year, I might try to swing it again, but honestly the entry fee was the least expensive part of the trip. Tickets from where I live (southern Oregon) are ridiculously expensive. And hotel room rates in Chicago are steep. Not sure if I could convince the wife again that it would be worth the money. Off topic: Kirk, it was nice to finally meet and swim with you at the Gil Young Meet. Fun watching you and Scot race! Are you going to be at the PNA Zones SCM Champs in November? I'm planning on being there and I think Scot will be too.
  • Off topic: Kirk, it was nice to finally meet and swim with you at the Gil Young Meet. Fun watching you and Scot race! Are you going to be at the PNA Zones SCM Champs in November? I'm planning on being there and I think Scot will be too. That's the plan! Nice to meet you, too. I don't think I put it together who you were until I got back home after Gil Young. :) And, yes, it is expensive to stay in Chicago. I'm very lucky I've got a friend there who I stay with every year. Hotel rates are steep.
  • That's the plan! Nice to meet you, too. I don't think I put it together who you were until I got back home after Gil Young. :) Great! I'm sure we'll be swimming together again in some of the mid-distance and distance freestyle events! And, yes, it is expensive to stay in Chicago. I'm very lucky I've got a friend there who I stay with every year. Hotel rates are steep. Lucky you! I've been steadily making friends in different locales with whom I stay but don't get back east enough to have many contacts there. Having someone to stay with would make the trip much easier to swallow financially.
  • I guess you learn the most when things go wrong. It sounds like there was really no way they could postpone the race. However, I really think for future events they should consider contingency plans. The weather is fickle. It's not fair to just bag the entire event because the weather isn't good at the exact time the race was scheduled to start.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    i do realize they had everyon's safety in mind, but i don't think they understand how much this impacts the entries to future races. i live 30 minutes from chicago and i am telling you that if i spent $500+ PLUS the training to get to this race, i would be absolutely livid. i can promise you that this would be the last race i would go to that isn't local. if they had waited until 3pm - the weather cleared up and we had bright blue skies.
  • I believe this was the first time in 25 years the race had to be cancelled. That is correct.
  • I believe this was the first time in 25 years the race had to be cancelled.
  • I can't see that any alternate location would have really been feasible for me to participate, unless there's some other lake right there in Chicago that somehow isn't on any map. What about a delay of 5 or 6 hours or 24 hours (I know this wouldn't have worked for some, but if they'd had know in advance, perhaps it would have)? Seems like there could be contingency plans made in advance and communicated to participants so that they could arrange their travel plans around those plans in case they need to be executed. Just really, really stinks to come all that way for a swim, spend all that time and money to get there, do all the training to be prepared and then come home having not done it. Even a delay to the afternoon would have allowed for the swim to go off safely. As would have a 24 hour delay.