Big Shoulders swim in Chicago

Many on our team - Elgin Blue Wave - are in this race. Hope for good weather and mild water temps for all!
Parents
  • Same. Did you get into the lake and swim? Water felt great! I didn't really swim that far, but saw lots of people swimming a good portion of the course. I think if the swim had gone the people out of the water would have suffered far worse than those swimming. I walked over to Ohio Street Beach Sunday morning, but didn't get in. There were people swimming Sunday AM too. I should have at least gotten in. It looked idyllic! But I was on a walk with my father, who had driven up from St. Louis to support me, so I didn't even bring my suit on the walk. Glad that you got a swim in! I'm glad they didn't reschedule for today since my flight left Chicago at 9:00 this morning. I would have been SOL. The weather was absolutely perfect. Sunny skies, fairly warm and very calm. If they had rescheduled I wonder how many people would have been able to make it? I'm guessing the majority. Since my plane didn't leave until 3pm, I could have done it. Really wish they would have bumped it to Sunday! I know the official line is "no refunds" but I hope they at least consider giving those who were entered this year a discount on next year's swim. Obviously lots of the entry money is already spent, but not all. I'm sure they pay a lot to the CPD for the lifeguards and since the race didn't go it would seem like a good portion of that money should be coming back. Although given that it's Chicago, perhaps I'm wrong about that! All good thoughts. I've had this swim on my list since I found out about it ~4 years ago. I thought "this is they year!" when I saw it was a national championship, so I saved up and made it happen. Then it gets canceled :sad: If there were some sort of entry discount offered for next year, I might try to swing it again, but honestly the entry fee was the least expensive part of the trip. Tickets from where I live (southern Oregon) are ridiculously expensive. And hotel room rates in Chicago are steep. Not sure if I could convince the wife again that it would be worth the money. Off topic: Kirk, it was nice to finally meet and swim with you at the Gil Young Meet. Fun watching you and Scot race! Are you going to be at the PNA Zones SCM Champs in November? I'm planning on being there and I think Scot will be too.
  • Same. Did you get into the lake and swim? Water felt great! I didn't really swim that far, but saw lots of people swimming a good portion of the course. I think if the swim had gone the people out of the water would have suffered far worse than those swimming. I walked over to Ohio Street Beach Sunday morning, but didn't get in. There were people swimming Sunday AM too. I should have at least gotten in. It looked idyllic! But I was on a walk with my father, who had driven up from St. Louis to support me, so I didn't even bring my suit on the walk. Glad that you got a swim in! I'm glad they didn't reschedule for today since my flight left Chicago at 9:00 this morning. I would have been SOL. The weather was absolutely perfect. Sunny skies, fairly warm and very calm. If they had rescheduled I wonder how many people would have been able to make it? I'm guessing the majority. Since my plane didn't leave until 3pm, I could have done it. Really wish they would have bumped it to Sunday! I know the official line is "no refunds" but I hope they at least consider giving those who were entered this year a discount on next year's swim. Obviously lots of the entry money is already spent, but not all. I'm sure they pay a lot to the CPD for the lifeguards and since the race didn't go it would seem like a good portion of that money should be coming back. Although given that it's Chicago, perhaps I'm wrong about that! All good thoughts. I've had this swim on my list since I found out about it ~4 years ago. I thought "this is they year!" when I saw it was a national championship, so I saved up and made it happen. Then it gets canceled :sad: If there were some sort of entry discount offered for next year, I might try to swing it again, but honestly the entry fee was the least expensive part of the trip. Tickets from where I live (southern Oregon) are ridiculously expensive. And hotel room rates in Chicago are steep. Not sure if I could convince the wife again that it would be worth the money. Off topic: Kirk, it was nice to finally meet and swim with you at the Gil Young Meet. Fun watching you and Scot race! Are you going to be at the PNA Zones SCM Champs in November? I'm planning on being there and I think Scot will be too.
Children
No Data