racoon eyes

Former Member
Former Member
Maybe someone can help me out - I swim in the morning then rush to work. Practice ends about 30 minutes before I begin work, so "rush" is the operative word. Here's my problem: despite feeling great from the swimming induced endorphin high when I get to work, I look terrible. I still have racoon eyes from my goggles. www.usms.org/.../cane.gifI look a million years old. Anyone know any tricks, creams, or whatever to combat this? I have tried loosening my goggles, and have switched brands, but ulitmately these alternatives resulted in leaky goggles, and hence, pink eyes. Being a high school teacher, looking old is preferable to looking stoned, but still...
  • I had a massive problem with this a few years ago. It was getting so bad that I was getting constant water retention in my eyelids that my doctor thought might be permanent. I was freaking out about it because it looked terrible, and I certainly didn't want permanent rings/bubbles/general yuckiness. My doctor was talking about how it would potentially require plastic surgery at one point, if it kept almost drooping. YUCK!! I think part of it was having a relatively thin face, with very little cushion for the goggles. I have also been someone who preferred my goggles really super tight. My solution, with has worked for the most part, was to start using a Seal XP open water mask. It doesn't sit in the eye socket and alleviates the pressure I used to get from tight goggles. No puffiness around the eyes. No drooping. Less dark circles, and almost no lines except for the line across my forehead from the mask, and that goes away after a little while. I know they look goofy, but since I started using it, several of my teammates have also gotten them and are liking them too. Good luck!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Well, I've noticed a dramatic change in the skin around my eye area in the last 5 months. I have photos from before I wore these goggles (Aquasphere Kaiman) and after and it seems that the aging process would be more gradual. Granted I am 47 but I've always looked young and I can't believe how different I look since June. I've even stopped swimming because of it. I don't want to make it worse.
  • I don't mind you asking my age at all. I'm 37, and a woman. It took me a while to lose the puffiness. It took a while for it to come, so it made sense that it took a while to have it go away. The Seal Mask that I use is the Seal XP, which is not specifically designed for women, but in the small size, can fit a small face. When I spoke to my doctor, he really did feel that it could be a permanent water retention issue related to how tight the goggles were. He said if I didn't change the goggles, he could see how plastic surgery could be a later option. In terms of the puffiness and drooping, it was happening in my upper eyelid. There were actually two round spots near that puffed out all the time, almost like I had a jellybean under my eyelid, except not that big. The skin was then getting pulled down by the goggles. I am making it sound like I looked like a freak, which was not the case, but I worried it would get worse and worse. Since switching goggles several years ago, the puffiness and droop are completely gone, and my skin seems to have bounced back. I feel like a dork in the ugly goggles, but since I swim mostly open water anyway, I don't look hugely out of place. I couldn't imagine keeping myself out of the pool. I was absolutely determined to find a way to stay in there.
  • Former Member
    thanks for your reply sydned.... Do you mind telling me did you go to your doctor with this problem and how long did it take to resolve? Do you mind me asking how old you are? Male or female? The MD actually advised you that you may need plastic surgery? Where was the droopiness? Did the MD attribute this to the use of goggles? I bought a ladies AquaSphere Seal mask in September and wore it a few times but I stopped swimming in mid-September. The last day I wore the Kaiman goggles was probably the last week of August. I also have a small, thin face...after 4 months of no goggles and no swimming, I see no improvement. Very worried not to mention quite depressed. I will swim again, perhaps without goggles or with the mask but to be honest, I've been so depressed about this that the pool is the last place I want to be.
  • Former Member
    I've even stopped swimming because of it. I don't want to make it worse. Instead of stopping swimming, why not just stopping using goggles? Swim without goggles is not that bad. I agree swim masks are more comfortable (though not for competition ;)).
  • Former Member
    I have a similar problem with my eyes (although the marks left are lighter strangely, not darker) and am thinking of buying the Speedo Biofuse Rift Training Goggles to see if they help. Does anyone have any experience of these goggles helping (or at least, not adding to) the permanent marks left around the eyes? Thanks.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I had the same issue and it turned out that I had what is called pitting edema. It was caused by autoimmune antibodies (hashimotos disease). Get a blood test for APO thyroid antibodies (this is the only test that works TSH test is worthless). No I have medication and the problem has completely resolved and my vision is a lot better too.