racoon eyes

Former Member
Former Member
Maybe someone can help me out - I swim in the morning then rush to work. Practice ends about 30 minutes before I begin work, so "rush" is the operative word. Here's my problem: despite feeling great from the swimming induced endorphin high when I get to work, I look terrible. I still have racoon eyes from my goggles. www.usms.org/.../cane.gifI look a million years old. Anyone know any tricks, creams, or whatever to combat this? I have tried loosening my goggles, and have switched brands, but ulitmately these alternatives resulted in leaky goggles, and hence, pink eyes. Being a high school teacher, looking old is preferable to looking stoned, but still...
  • Why hide it... tell 'em what you were up to! If they're not impressed, who cares, but some just might find it cool that their teacher swims/competes! Our kids need more positive role models! Keep up the good work!
  • I say invite them to morning workout & see the improved relationship it brings! The only help I found is a mask, but then you trade eyes for a bowl ring! Not a great improvment!!
  • I also swim in the morning, shower at the pool, then finish hair and make-up in gym locker room at work (gives hair a littler longer to dry before blasting with blow dryer). I have found that Garnier Anti-puff Eye Roller works well, I apply it (along with ear drops and moisterizer) while driving to work.:fish2:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I used to have the same problem, but switched goggles. I use the TYR socket rocket goggles now. They took a bit to get used to, but now I prefer them. They have little padding and are set into the eye socket much more that other goggles that have a lot of padding around the eye piece. I still get some markings on my face around my eyes if I have them on tight, but it's a lot less than I used to get with my old goggles. I'm old enough and don't want my goggles making me look even older!:cane:
  • Former Member
    Which are better raccoon eyes or Bette Davis eyes?
  • Former Member
    Fred (the raccoon in my avatar and who lives in our north woods) says: "Hey! What's wrong with raccoon eyes?" I seem to recall reading that Joan Collins used to wipe under her eyes with witchhazel to bring down puffiness, but perhaps I am hallucinating that memory. -LBJ
  • Former Member
    I embrace the raccoon eyes, I don't get them very often but would like too. It allows me a reason to brag about my swimming!
  • Former Member
    I have raccoon eyes too. I look kinda weird for a few hours afterward but I'm fine with it.
  • I go right to work after workout so I started using the Tyr Rocket Sockets in practice but can't dive in with them. They always fall off on me. If I plan to do any starts I have an extra pair of Women's Vanquisher goggles that I use sparingly since they leave the rings around my eyes.
  • I had the same problem when I swam before work, only I usually had a cap line to add to the general impression of drowned rat. I used a tinted moisturizer, which toned things down a bit and made it less obvious.