racoon eyes

Former Member
Former Member
Maybe someone can help me out - I swim in the morning then rush to work. Practice ends about 30 minutes before I begin work, so "rush" is the operative word. Here's my problem: despite feeling great from the swimming induced endorphin high when I get to work, I look terrible. I still have racoon eyes from my goggles. www.usms.org/.../cane.gifI look a million years old. Anyone know any tricks, creams, or whatever to combat this? I have tried loosening my goggles, and have switched brands, but ulitmately these alternatives resulted in leaky goggles, and hence, pink eyes. Being a high school teacher, looking old is preferable to looking stoned, but still...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I have what appears to be permanent raccoon eyes from wearing Kaiman goggles (junior) this past summer and awful under eye bags. I'm 47, female. Quite worried as I feel I have aged significantly in the last 4 months due to this and wondering if anyone has heard about permanent damage to the under eye skin and eye bags/discoloration due to long term use of goggles, especially those that use suction.
  • Many use two sets of goggles: one with a tight strap for starting at meets and another with a strap with more slack for long workouts. I use the Swedish goggles and don't get raccoon eyes. Now what to do about the cloud of chlorine aroma that follows me in my workplace eliciting comments. . . The witch hazel sounds like a good suggestion for reducing swelling, redness and puffiness. You might have to explain why you keep a jar of Tuck's medicated pads handy, though.:cane:
  • Former Member
    Are there goggles that don't use suction? Yes some of the more expensive Barracuda goggles claim not to use suction. I brought a pair and hated them so sent them back. I use the Speedo Speedsocket and love them. No marks left.
  • Former Member
    So am I crazy in thinking swim goggles gave me dark circles, bags and wrinkles I didn't have 6 months ago? Has anyone seen this in my age group (late 40's)?
  • I, too, went nuts with this problem and searched for years for a solution and often purposely avoided swimming before important meetings. I suggest the Lane 4 Selene Goggle. I get little to no marks at all! I had to contact a manager from the company to find them again since the company I usually buy from (SwimOutlet) stopped selling them, but you can buy them from Lane 4 which I do regularly.
  • I used to have the same problem, but switched goggles. I use the TYR socket rocket goggles now. They took a bit to get used to, but now I prefer them. They have little padding and are set into the eye socket much more that other goggles that have a lot of padding around the eye piece. I still get some markings on my face around my eyes if I have them on tight, but it's a lot less than I used to get with my old goggles. I'm old enough and don't want my goggles making me look even older!:cane: i wear the socket rockets and find they actually pull up the eye corners giving the eyes a mini lift. :)
  • Former Member
    Barracuda Standards you will love them or hate them. I love mine. No circles comfortable. 34 dollars. See the review on Beginner Triathlete I wrote: www.beginnertriathlete.com/.../gear.asp By the way Beginner Tri is a great site with all kinds of info about swimming/bikeing/running See some of the comments there in the forums about "swimmers" vs "tri swimmers" You will have to look around. But we "swimmers" are a lot better at the swim then a lot of the runners /bikers. Many people who run/bike well have trouble with the swim. I wonder when a swim- bike-run event will be in the olympics. It should be as well as open water swimming which there doing.
  • Former Member
    especially those that use suction. Are there goggles that don't use suction?
  • Former Member
    Has anyone heard of permanent skin changes from the long term use of swim goggles (over 20 years), e.g. eyebags, wrinkles, dark circles, eye hollows? This is what I'm experiencing and I'm quite distressed about it.
  • Former Member
    Has anyone heard of permanent skin changes from the long term use of swim goggles (over 20 years), e.g. eyebags, wrinkles, dark circles, eye hollows? This is what I'm experiencing and I'm quite distressed about it. I haven't heard about this but are you sure it's the goggles and not just regular aging?