racoon eyes

Former Member
Former Member
Maybe someone can help me out - I swim in the morning then rush to work. Practice ends about 30 minutes before I begin work, so "rush" is the operative word. Here's my problem: despite feeling great from the swimming induced endorphin high when I get to work, I look terrible. I still have racoon eyes from my goggles. www.usms.org/.../cane.gifI look a million years old. Anyone know any tricks, creams, or whatever to combat this? I have tried loosening my goggles, and have switched brands, but ulitmately these alternatives resulted in leaky goggles, and hence, pink eyes. Being a high school teacher, looking old is preferable to looking stoned, but still...
Parents
  • I don't mind you asking my age at all. I'm 37, and a woman. It took me a while to lose the puffiness. It took a while for it to come, so it made sense that it took a while to have it go away. The Seal Mask that I use is the Seal XP, which is not specifically designed for women, but in the small size, can fit a small face. When I spoke to my doctor, he really did feel that it could be a permanent water retention issue related to how tight the goggles were. He said if I didn't change the goggles, he could see how plastic surgery could be a later option. In terms of the puffiness and drooping, it was happening in my upper eyelid. There were actually two round spots near that puffed out all the time, almost like I had a jellybean under my eyelid, except not that big. The skin was then getting pulled down by the goggles. I am making it sound like I looked like a freak, which was not the case, but I worried it would get worse and worse. Since switching goggles several years ago, the puffiness and droop are completely gone, and my skin seems to have bounced back. I feel like a dork in the ugly goggles, but since I swim mostly open water anyway, I don't look hugely out of place. I couldn't imagine keeping myself out of the pool. I was absolutely determined to find a way to stay in there.
  • I don't mind you asking my age at all. I'm 37, and a woman. It took me a while to lose the puffiness. It took a while for it to come, so it made sense that it took a while to have it go away. The Seal Mask that I use is the Seal XP, which is not specifically designed for women, but in the small size, can fit a small face. When I spoke to my doctor, he really did feel that it could be a permanent water retention issue related to how tight the goggles were. He said if I didn't change the goggles, he could see how plastic surgery could be a later option. In terms of the puffiness and drooping, it was happening in my upper eyelid. There were actually two round spots near that puffed out all the time, almost like I had a jellybean under my eyelid, except not that big. The skin was then getting pulled down by the goggles. I am making it sound like I looked like a freak, which was not the case, but I worried it would get worse and worse. Since switching goggles several years ago, the puffiness and droop are completely gone, and my skin seems to have bounced back. I feel like a dork in the ugly goggles, but since I swim mostly open water anyway, I don't look hugely out of place. I couldn't imagine keeping myself out of the pool. I was absolutely determined to find a way to stay in there.
Children
No Data