Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
  • From ESPN.com (December, 2004): Barry Bonds testified to a grand jury that he used a clear substance and a cream given to him by a trainer who was indicted in a steroid-distribution ring, but said he didn't know they were steroids, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Friday. Bonds told a U.S. grand jury that he used undetectable steroids known as "the cream" and "the clear," which he received from personal trainer Greg Anderson during the 2003 season. According to Bonds, the trainer told him the substances were the nutritional supplement flaxseed oil and a pain-relieving balm for the player's arthritis. I knew it....there is no other way of explaining Geek and his sudden found confidence and aggression in conquering the world of triathlon...not even a little girly bell on his bike shakes his confidence! By the way....with the cycling world falling back onto and old tried and true method of blood doping....I wonder if USS/FINA have added that into their testing protocol?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    This is the best row we've had since watching Stud's backstroke starts and turns on youtube.com. www.youtube.com/watch For those who missed it and want in on Geek's funny! Even though you might suspect it...I wasn't doping! BTW - it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to pump up those super skinny tires. Wow, next time just try orally filling them with some that hot air you're full of... :party2::party2::party2:
  • Former Member
    not me, I'd need to be much faster. Dara is probably faster than me I'd be thrilled to go 54.4 in the 100 free how do you quantify how great a baseball player is Base ball players don't have to drag their bodies through the water AndeThat's an argument for another day.
  • Former Member
    You make a very good point Rob. Some of the substances that supposedly Bonds used were not illegal at the time they were supposedly used....... So, do we make them illegal retroactively?
  • Former Member
    who is the enigmatic White Buffalo? This should bring you up to speed ande. It's very interesting. But I still would like to believe that Dara's time were done au naturale. How many of us know or have seen a 40+ masters competitor swim a sprint race very very close to their college times? Rich Abrahams used to smoke up to 2 packs a day in his his 30's according to an interview not too long ago. In his late 50's he was going 21 again for the 50 yard free. Obviously the smoking enhanced his lung capacity. Not. (No offense intended to Rich if he reads this.) He's a great example of old dudes kicking ass. canuckswimmer.blogspot.com/.../i-came-to-praise-torres-but-intend-to_28.html
  • I'm not taking it anymore - I'm gathering up my ironman watch, pull buoy, diaper shorts, bike shoes, bike pedals, heart rate monitor, wetsuit, paddles, scuba-esque goggles, dorkle and unitard and going over the the USAT discussion forum. Peace out, fruitcakes! Oh, and my flaxseed oil, fish oil, quercetin, coq10, etc too. Get some of that!
  • Former Member
    Quicksilver.....hope you were being sarcastic about the smoking thing!!!! As a former 25+ year smoker....I find that is the hardest thing to get back.. lung capacity!!!!!
  • Former Member
    ...I find that is the hardest thing to get back.. lung capacity!!!!! I was being sarcastic. But yes this is all the more reason why it's remarkable to literally rise from the ashes!
  • Former Member
    I have so many individual arguing golds I don't need swimming medals. Sorry Girl, but from what I’ve read none of your arguments are even close to making the finals, no where near medal contention. But keep trying, maybe with the right performance enhancers, you may qualify by the time you turn 40. :cane: Now Geek, he is a perennial contender.Even at his advanced age.
  • Former Member
    Ok, I'm late to the discussion here, but this Scott guy brings up the "Less is More" strategy that Dara is using. Hasn't Natalie Coughlin been using that strategy for a while now? If I'm correct on that point, then perhaps it's possible to use multi-discipline training methods (yoga, weights, etc) and still achieve exceptional results. No one is accusing Natalie of dopping! Why do we have to train in the water like crazy people? No one has ever accused me of being an elite athelete (really, it's true!), but as a masters swimmer I'm swimming some of the fastest times of my life in many events. Aside from asthma medicie, flax seed oil, & a multi-vitimin, I'm clean, even avoiding caffine on most days. If the premise we're working from is one has to be dopping to improve performance after age 30, then how can my steadily improving performances in my middle thirties, after a 15 year hiatus, be explained? Maybe Dara is just exceptional. Maybe no one her age has made a real good-faith effort to do what she's trying to do, which is why she has no peer group for comparison. (Ok, Susan VDL made trials cuts, but is she really training to make the team, or just to show people that it can be done?) And to be fair, maybe she's dopping. I, for one, would like to believe she's not.