Dara Torres-Amazing

Former Member
Former Member
Dara just one the national title in the 100M Freestyle in 54.4 at the ripe old age of 40. Simply Incredible. :applaud: :woot: If that's not inspiring I don't know what is.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Not trying to be a jerk here John ( I leave that to Geek and Stud), Matt Not much Jerky... :laugh2: I'm only a jerk to Geek, and he loves it anyhow. Being the devil's advocate and declaring myself thus is not jerky...
  • Elite athletes do not cheat for the money (at least it is low on the list). Having it or not having it neither absolves or proves anything (this has been the most useless issue to pop up in the thread). Well, since it was established many pages ago that Dara has "boatloads" of money, I think we've moved on from the money issue and are now wringing our hands over the inevitable evils of ego. Jayhawk's example of the forged birth certificate is still cracking me up.
  • Former Member
    FQ/SG Over the possibilty of someone unimportant to either of your lives you're going to fall out? You're both entitled to opinions neither is right until proven so. Don't let this topic start a feud. :sad: Yah I know this is a dangerous place to stand.
  • Former Member
    There could theoretically be genetic outliers. But even the doc says it's not possible. There are genetic outliers...it is possible...maybe not probable...but possible. Just remember there are "Lies, damned lies and statistics...." :dedhorse:
  • Former Member
    As to little punk Stud, if I can figure out how to ride my new TRI BIKE (there you go Smiths), I'm gonna find him and run him over - shouldn't be hard given his average speed of movement. Will Mrs Geek allow you to leave your block (since Maryland is a little far for her little soldier to travel) or will you just ride in the driveway in case I happen by? It'll be a dizzying triathalon...you swim in a kiddie pool, circles in the driveway on the bike (don't forget the bell *ting-a-ling*) then running laps around the house... :lmao:
  • Former Member
    You two..... :rolleyes:
  • Former Member
    This whole argument is about human physiology in my opinion. By limiting our scope to elite athletes we are looking at such a small piece of the human population pie that it's obscene. I realize this seems to be the only thing to really compare to but are the conclusions drawn from such comparisons valuable? No would be my answer. We must realize that amongst the population there are likely thousands upon thousands of people with the potential to be world class athletes if they chose to develop themselves in the correct sport. This whole idea of comparing Dara to the sports icons in our heads is a gross oversimplification of a much more complex issue.
  • Former Member
    No, I live in the Chicago area thank you. How many of those can really be compared to Dara. To have walked away for 6-7 years, but stayed in great shape. Then try to come back. There may be some real phsyical benefits in the breaks she takes so her body can heal. Also comparing it basketball players that never left or even those that did is still not valid in my mind because the pounding up and down the court takes it's toll. There's also a lot more traveling involved. Basketball cannot really be compared to sprinting 50s and 100s. Elway is different too because of the toll football takes on your body. More so for linemen than quarterbacks, but still. It's a lot more brutal than swimming. The possible best other sport comparison might be baseball. Clemens is unreal, too. Again though the constant traveling has an effect, too. I think that is a big part of what wears pro athletes out. There have been a number of football players over the years in the UK play into the late 30's. Whilst not a brutal game...there is certainly a heck of a lot of wear and tear...these older guys have all had one thing in common and that's the dedication to training and extra rest....so I think if you stay on top of your training you have a shot...again tough to cross compare sports in such a way.
  • Former Member
    Will Mrs Geek allow you to leave your block (since Maryland is a little far for her little soldier to travel) or will you just ride in the driveway in case I happen by? It'll be a dizzying triathalon...you swim in a kiddie pool, circles in the driveway on the bike (don't forget the bell *ting-a-ling*) then running laps around the house... :lmao: Now that's funny......I don't care who you are......that's funny!!!! Picture Geek riding up and down his driveway!!!!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao:
  • Former Member
    If you're going to bring in Baseball.....one name stands out......Nolan Ryan!!! How old was he when he threw his seventh no-hitter? 44 And then how old was he when he retired? 46